Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XT 5MT
197 Posts
Very nice bro. Going to school for that would be most of us here's dream job. Keep up the good work. Also I need to start stiffening up my car as well. For a big box it feels like it flexis quite a bit

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Very nice bro. Going to school for that would be most of us here's dream job. Keep up the good work. Also I need to start stiffening up my car as well. For a big box it feels like it flexis quite a bit
I'm incredibly excited to go. The program is one of the best for automotive engineering in the country from what I've heard, so I'm expecting it'll be a good time.

Definitely do chassis stiffening. The boxy rear of the car makes it very prone to flex, so a rear strut brace is where I'd start.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
175 Posts
Grounding Kit

Hey man, I just ordered the Flex Innovations Grounding Kit for my FXT. They haven't updated their website in about 7 years and I was just making sure they still made kits, so i'm glad I found this thread. Out of curiosity, what's the turnaround time on the kits?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hey man, I just ordered the Flex Innovations Grounding Kit for my FXT. They haven't updated their website in about 7 years and I was just making sure they still made kits, so i'm glad I found this thread. Out of curiosity, what's the turnaround time on the kits?
Honestly I don't remember. I think it was around two weeks, but it wasn't anything crazy. They ship it in a USPS flat rate box, so you can figure a few days for them to make it, and then whatever the shipping time is from them to you.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
My brakes have been feeling really spongey, and I eventually plan to get a big brake kit, so in the interim, I picked up a used STI master cylinder and brake booster (seems to help with our cars, got it for $55 so I figure it's worth a shot), some stainless lines, and a master cylinder brace. Hopefully that reduces the spongeyness of the brakes since that's my biggest complaint about my car right now.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
996 Posts
My brakes have been feeling really spongey, and I eventually plan to get a big brake kit, so in the interim, I picked up a used STI master cylinder and brake booster (seems to help with our cars, got it for $55 so I figure it's worth a shot), some stainless lines, and a master cylinder brace. Hopefully that reduces the spongeyness of the brakes since that's my biggest complaint about my car right now.
Nice price! It made my brake pedal feel way better, and I'm still on stock brakes as well. I think you'll be happy with it. I did everything but the stainless lines and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Nice price! It made my brake pedal feel way better, and I'm still on stock brakes as well. I think you'll be happy with it. I did everything but the stainless lines and it made a big difference.
How tough was the install? From what I understand it really isn't that bad, it's just annoying and time consuming. Stainless lines should be easy so long as the old ones come off.... Time to start PB blasting

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
996 Posts
How tough was the install? From what I understand it really isn't that bad, it's just annoying and time consuming. Stainless lines should be easy so long as the old ones come off.... Time to start PB blasting
That sounds about right. It's not terribly hard, but its not that fun either. Just requires a bit of finesse. I installed mine with the engine out of the car, and it still wasn't the most pleasurable experience I've had. I'd imagine it will be tougher with the motor still in. There are a lot of things in the way, which makes it a bit difficult to get the thing in or out. You just have to go in(and out) at the right angle at it slips right in. Could be helpful to have a second set of hands.

I'm worried about getting my brake lines undone as well. Need to do the same with the pb blaster.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That sounds about right. It's not terribly hard, but its not that fun either. Just requires a bit of finesse. I installed mine with the engine out of the car, and it still wasn't the most pleasurable experience I've had. I'd imagine it will be tougher with the motor still in. There are a lot of things in the way, which makes it a bit difficult to get the thing in or out. You just have to go in(and out) at the right angle at it slips right in. Could be helpful to have a second set of hands.

I'm worried about getting my brake lines undone as well. Need to do the same with the pb blaster.
We'll see how it goes. I'm going to be doing it at the shop I used to work at which has every tool I could possibly need, so hopefully I don't run into too many problems. I'm giving myself a whole day to do it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Got my STI brake booster and master cylinder, as well as my stainless steel lines and master cylinder brace on today. Also, I fixed my rear sway bar mounts, which apparently I had backwards (thanks Whiteline for not labeling them left/right). Unfortunately, GrimmSpeed forgot to box up the hardware with the master cylinder brace. I bolted it up with bolts that I had in my collection, but I have to wait for them to send me the rubber stopper so it can actually work. Also, forgot to take pics of the booster/mc/brace, but I got pics of the lines.

Ignore the salt...

Also, hit another milestone

My car is off to AZP Installs tomorrow for a full brake fluid flush with DOT4. I have every tool I could ever need at the shop where I work except a power bleeder... Figure I'll pay AZP to do it instead of buying a bleeder for this one instance.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Lucky 7's! How'd the booster install go?
It could have been better. Getting the booster out wasn't too bad, but when I put the new one in, I got a master cylinder line caught behind it, and didn't notice until I reinstalled everything and went to hook up the lines. So off it came. Then I got it back in again, and the fork that hooks up to the brake pedal got caught on the brake pedal bracket, so off again, then FINALLY got it on the third try haha. All the rest of the stuff I did was a breeze though. None of the brake fittings were stuck or anything.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
996 Posts
It could have been better. Getting the booster out wasn't too bad, but when I put the new one in, I got a master cylinder line caught behind it, and didn't notice until I reinstalled everything and went to hook up the lines. So off it came. Then I got it back in again, and the fork that hooks up to the brake pedal got caught on the brake pedal bracket, so off again, then FINALLY got it on the third try haha. All the rest of the stuff I did was a breeze though. None of the brake fittings were stuck or anything.
Dang. You're a pro at it now then haha. Glad you got it in there though. The whole combo with the brake booster/mc and brace should make a big difference.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Dang. You're a pro at it now then haha. Glad you got it in there though. The whole combo with the brake booster/mc and brace should make a big difference.
Hopefully! I won't have the benefits of the brace until I get the stuff from GrimmSpeed, but I imagine just the booster/mc/stainless lines will make a massive difference. AFAIK, the brace only really helps the squish when hard braking.

Now I just need Brembos... :grin2:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
996 Posts
Hopefully! I won't have the benefits of the brace until I get the stuff from GrimmSpeed, but I imagine just the booster/mc/stainless lines will make a massive difference. AFAIK, the brace only really helps the squish when hard braking.

Now I just need Brembos... :grin2:
Yeah it seems like it makes the pedal a bit more progressive. I know it stiffened my whole assembly up, but I also did all three at once minus the stainless lines. So, not sure exactly what had the biggest affect. I'm patiently awaiting a free weekend to install my Brembos:smile2:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yeah it seems like it makes the pedal a bit more progressive. I know it stiffened my whole assembly up, but I also did all three at once minus the stainless lines. So, not sure exactly what had the biggest affect. I'm patiently awaiting a free weekend to install my Brembos:smile2:
Got the brakes bled today and hooooooly crap what a difference. The new setup feels a million times better. I still need to adjust the free play and get the mc brace set up (I can still feel the firewall flex) but it is considerably better than stock.

Looks good bro. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Haven't updated this in a little bit so I figured I'd let you guys know what's going on. Went to Gorman, CA for an SAE Baja event which was fun, and also went to tour Clemson's automotive campus in Greenville, SC. Also found a new apartment. So I've been a bit busy.

Since the last update, all I've done is purchase a lip, which my buddy is painting, and I went to AZP for another alignment since I felt I needed more front camber and less rear camber. Specs:

Also, I finished up the SOLIDWORKS drawing of a rear strut brace setup that I want to make.

I won't be needing my Whiteline quick disconnect strut brace anymore, so it'll be for sale. Any takers?

At some point this summer, I'll get the new lip mounted up, and I'm going to install a top feed conversion kit that I picked up from a friend. FiC 1100cc injectors and rails, KSTech TGV deletes, and sidefeed TGVs for 300 bucks. Not too shabby! Just need to get some fuel line and an Aeromotive FPR and that'll be going in. Might put in some 3mm phenolic spacers and an IAG AOS while I'm in there, but that depends on how much I feel like spending.

Oh yeah, and I did a 1/4 mile test in Mexico or whatever. 13.2s 1/4 mile and 4.9s 0-60 as told by my Accessport. Still gotta figure out how to properly launch it, though.

·
Registered
2005 XT 5MT
197 Posts
It's looking good bro, well other then the crusty coilovers. Man am I glad it doesn't snow in Hawaii but we still have a **** ton of rust thanks to being surrounded by water.

When you make the rear strut bar let me know, I really want a nice 3 point like that. I recently got a cheap eBay unit which helped with flex but I'd love something like that you got in the works

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
It's looking good bro, well other then the crusty coilovers. Man am I glad it doesn't snow in Hawaii but we still have a **** ton of rust thanks to being surrounded by water.

When you make the rear strut bar let me know, I really want a nice 3 point like that. I recently got a cheap eBay unit which helped with flex but I'd love something like that you got in the works
Yeah totally! I'll let you know how it goes. I'm lucky that I can use the water jet at school to make the mounts, but if I decide to make and sell these, I'm going to need to find an alternative for them. Also, since I'm moving soon, I'll have to find a way to make them down in SC. Time will tell how that goes. Worst case scenario, I can have a machine shop make the whole thing for you and you pay whatever that cost + shipping is.

81 - 100 of 166 Posts