Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 T-5
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am very close to buying a 2004 Forester X with only 64,000 miles. The tires are pretty worn, so, I was wondering what a good aggressive tire is for these. Something that performs well off-road but hold the road well also. My driving will be 95% on road, but, I want something meaty. Give me some suggestions. I think the wheels are 16''. Anyway, I am looking forward to buying this Forester and getting into the Subaru way of things. I love their cars and feel that they know how to make a practical all-around vehicle.

-Thanks

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. I love them.
Agreed. If I remember correctly, that's the only "actual" all-terrain tire in the stock 215/60-16 size. I've heard nothing but good things regarding them (not only from other Subaru's, but Jeeps and trucks as well)

I personally buy used tires now. I've had about 4 sidewall punctures due to our HUGE cactus thorns we have out here, and was sick of buying new tires. So now, I buy used. Can't beat $90 for a set of 4 Geolanders (OEM ones) with 70%+ tread life left.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Welcome Keith, hope all works out with your impending purchase.

Make sure you work the price to your advantage if you need tires.

The Tire and Wheel section is a great way to brush up on what will fit, wheel offsets and stuff like keeping the circumference of all 4 tires closely the same. No more just changing out one tire if that's all you need, although on rare occasions you can get away with it.

Keep us posted on your new purchase.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
I have a 2004 X.

I can tell you NOT to get SU05521606T Sumitomo Touring LST. Just got those last weekend and the back end sort of feels like it wants to steer too. The V rated would probably handle better, but I'm not shelling out the extra $. The tread is pretty open and agressive but not too loud.

Current plan is the distributor is supposed to get some Cooper - CS4 Touring H/V in 215/60R16 95V next week for the same $. I have a friend that has them on a 2008 and really likes them.

I previously had Kumo Solus KH16, which felt OK but wore prematurely partially due to bad wheel alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts