Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 06 Forester in to a dealer to have some warranty recall work done. When I got it back they said both the front and rear driver's side tires are bald on the inside.

The inspection sheet said the tread on the
driver's front is 5/32nds,
driver's rear is 6/32nds

passenger's front is 8/32nds
passenger's rear is 5/32nds

I'm in no position to purchase new tires. I also don't know how much of a safety hazard this presents. Can I get by with a tire rotation for now? Should I bother and can I do it myself?

I've never had a rotation done and I'm up to 23k miles. I'm realizing now that I'm very late with this maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,872 Posts
When I bought my '07 last year (June/09) with 21K miles, the dealership had just replaced the tires. They must have been pretty bad for them to install new tires on a vehicle that was for sale. :icon_eek:

As to using the tires you have. Safe, perhaps not for winter use, but if you can't afford new tires, what can you do. :frown:

I don't think tire rotation would have helped that much. I would have the alignment checked when you do get new tires. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
You do not mention where you are from. If you see the white stuff and your tread is low then yes your car isn;t has safe as one with new tires.

If the tread life indicator is not yet hit then I would save your money and get the tires when you can.

If money is the issue then buying 4 new tires at a cheaper price maybe better than risking an accident on "bald" tires.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
rotating your own tires is fairly easy to do if you have a jack and some jack stands, and something to stick under the tire so it doesn't roll. As far as how much tread is left I don't have enough knowledge about tires to know if that is enough or not.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Your tires probably had ~10/32" tread depth when they were new. 2/32" remaining tread depth is generally considered to be the legal limit, so the two tires that are down to 5/32" are wearing rapidly.

If you're in a bind, I'd suggest the following wheel rotation as a short-term solution:
  • Move pass F (8/32, not bald inside) to driver F
  • Move driver F (6/32, bald inside) to driver R
  • Move driver R (5/32, bald inside) to pass R
  • Move pass R (5/32, not bald inside) to pass F
This will place the two best tires (not bald inside) on the front, with the best single tire on the driver front, which is wearing most quickly. The front tires are generally stressed more (engine weight, steering, braking) than the rear ones, so the best tires on the front should help.

You'll need an alignment, if not for the existing tires, then certainly for the new ones. My local Subaru dealer charges $149 + shims, shop fees, and taxes, for a four-wheel alignment. :icon_sad:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts