Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Touring 5spd Manual
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004X
Had 16s with no sign of uneven wear before replacing with larger wheel/tire combo. (Kumho 235/40/18s).
Drove almost 20000k from May until October last year.
last spring I posted upon installation that there was some light wrestling with the wheel and some tramlining (which I expected with wider wheels/tires)
I kept an eye on pressure during this period.
Went to put the 18s back on last week and noticed the front inner tires
are severely worn and now useless.
Rears, although even, have about 30% left.

anywho, I'm sure this is an alignment issue but there are no signs of uneven wear on the 16" winters.

I plan on going to 225/45/18
will this help at all?
Does anyone actually re-align every spring and fall?

any advice would be great
thank you
take care

J

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... Drove almost 20000k from May until October last year.... noticed the front inner tires are severely worn and now useless.
Rears, although even, have about 30% left.... I'm sure this is an alignment issue... Does anyone actually re-align every spring and fall?...
Nobody should re-align unless they have reason to do it, like a hit on a curb, or a shimmy or uneven wear. I have never re-aligned any of my cars; never seen the need. I rotate per the various recommendations for each car.

The 12,000 high speed miles in 6 months without rotation could be the cause of your uneven wear. Subaru specifies rotation every 7,500 miles.

You need to start with a new set of 4 tires. See how they feel, and if there is any shimmy or pulling, get an alignment. Or, if in doubt that your alignment is good, get a re-alignment anyway.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Bring it in and get the alignment checked and get a printout, without having them actually change it. I know a lot of the shops around here will check it for free.

Changing tires/wheels has no effect on the alignment. However, the wider or more aggressive tires will grip more, have more resistance, and probably show wear more.

Theres probably some toe out in the front which you felt with the tramlining/wrestling. Basically when going forward the tires are pointed outward a bit, so they're basically dragging sideways slightly while rotating, with the wider tires it will wear more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts