Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I picked up the Forester on Monday and it had brand new 16" Blizzaks on it... I will be puchasing new all season tires next week and remove these for the summer, I was wondering if I upsized the tire from a factory specified P215/60/16 to a 215/65/16 would this hurt the awd drive system? I've read a few things on the forums but nothing really answered the question... I want a taller tire for more pot hole absorption and a smoother ride.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
As long as all 4 tires are the same size and are similar in wear (in this case, yes, since they are new), there is no risk to the AWD.

The only concern is if the larger tire will rub against anything in the wheel well, although I think the small change you're making should be low risk. Just look inside the wheel well and check to make sure there is sufficient room for the larger tires when you are turning or under heavy load.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Did the change in tire size soften the ride a little of which I'm hoping?
There are quite a few variables at play regarding the ride. The tire pressure, sidewall stiffness, tread pattern, etc can affect ride quality. I personally prefer the the ride with my Summer tires (245/40/18 Dunlops) to the General Grabbers. If you're looking for a soft(er) ride, I'd go for an all season tire like the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, Michelin Hydroedge, or Yokohama Avid. In 215/65/16 you're probably limited to non-performance tires anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts