1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIRSTLY> i know that better tires always help with grip period
humor me please haha

I was coming off interstate 81 on the way home tonight on this tight exit ramp that brought you back around 270 degrees or more. While driving along it i decided to play with my body roll a little bit. bouncing around between 50 and 60 (roads still arent completely dry) and pulling tighter and letting loose again a thought came to me.

With less 'grippy' tires would it be more beneficial to have softer springs to allow more body roll?

It seemed like when i threw all my weight to the outside i was able to lock in and pull through the turn much smoother and it felt like i could have gone much faster.
It has crossed my mind that this would be adverse in a less banked turn and the roll would possibly tug me outward but... humor me :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

someone has to have a thought on this? pwease?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The less grip at the tyre/road interface, yes you ideally want to run softer springs/arbs (its what they do in motorsport, soften off for a wet race).

Simon

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
^ yes, in lower grip conditions, you'll soften the springs. As Simon suggests, when we ran our wet track setup, we ran softer springs and change sways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts