Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1161 - 1165 of 1165 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT
1,304 Posts
I think for stock height and that offset it may fill the wheel well just a HAIR better and lessen the chances of rubbing ever so slightly. I do think that's a better size.

·
Registered
2014 XT, RSB, Grill, DRLs Fancy Laggy Band
473 Posts
Hi

My UK 2014 SJ XT (OEM 18" 7.5Jx18 ET48) has for the last 4 winters been running old 2002 5x twin spoke WRX 17" 7J 55ET Rims with Nokian WR SUV 3 Winter Tyres 225/60R17 103H XL.

Been very happy with the Nokians, but after 25k miles these now need replacing before the weather turns...

Ideally I'd like to go for a slightly deeper tyre for more clearance, ie 225/65R17

The questions I have are

1) will the 225/65R17 rub because of the higher tyre with different offset? (ET55 means tyre is closer to the inside of wheel arch)
2) is that too much of a step up for gearing, etc?
3) Should I consider 215/65R17 instead, but would those tyres be too skinny? (For reference the Wheels stock Tyre setup on a 2002 WRX were 215/45R17 so 225 is actually a little wider than stock for those old wheels but the car has run fine on them).
4) Should I just stick with what I know has worked fine for the last 4 years lol (225/60R17)

Grateful for your experience/opinions (excuse the rambling)

Just a heads up, after extensive visiting of online tyre calculation websites, decided to go for the larger 225/65r17 Nokian WR SUV 4 XL 106H

Cost £110 per corner delivered to my home, I obviously had to pay extra for me getting them fitted my local tyre shop

No rubbing, even at full lock there's at least 5mm clearance at the front. I fitted 3mm spacers to reduce the effective offset from 55 to 52, making it closer to the OEM of 48. The WRX wheel itself is also slightly narrower (7" instead of 7.5" on the OEM 18s)

Here's the calcs against the 18" OEMs, this site allows you to enter a figure for a spacer..

"

And here's a wheel fitted, right of this pic is the front of the car (UK RHD)

Here's the passenger side (UK RHD) showing the tread pattern of the winter tyre (wheel rolls towards camera)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm shopping for 17" winter tire wheels for my 2019, but I'm having a terrible time understanding how wheel width and offset will affect things. In my price range for budget alloys, there is far more selection in 17x7.5 than 17x7, especially avoiding machined faces etc. Many 17x7.5 wheels have significantly lower offset than stock (e.g. 40-42mm), which gives a positive scrub radius calculators tell me could affect handling. Should I be limiting myself to wheels with an offset within a few mm of stock? I just want some decent-looking wheels for my winter tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with all the wheel/tire size calculators and potential fitment issues, I just don't know how much deviation from stock offset is considered acceptable in terms of effect on handling and component life. I've seen general guidelines like 5-7mm, but many people seem to run wheels with much greater offset differences. I just want to know what is best practice since it's difficult to find reasonably priced alloy wheels that match the stock configuration.

1161 - 1165 of 1165 Posts