Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 WRX Limited 4EAT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been a lurker for a while and joined a while back(finally)

So here is the deal, I plan on lifting my 03 forester X this summer and throwing on some bigger tires. I know that the factory size is 215/60 r16, but there are hardly any all terrain tires in this size. I found a good set of 235/70 r16 General Tire Grabber at/2 tires for a pretty killer price. I know that the difference in diameter will throw my speedo off (i have gps to help with my speed thankfully) but what I want to know is if I am going to need spacers to make these wheels fit or if they will fit with no problem. I have seen others with 70 series tires and no rub, but I was not sure of the width of the tires.

Any feedback would be awesome guys! :woohoo:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Not sure if those will fit, you're putting them on stock wheels correct?

You probably won't find wheels in 15 that fit over an SG front brake calipers, the ones that do are really nice rally spec wheels that cost more than a lift. :biggrin:

Our SG came with 215/60-R16; there was about 18mm clearance between the sidewall and the rear struts.. I've got 215/65-R16 on there now and there is still enough room to move up to a 225/ width (~13mm clearance). Moving to a 235/ would give you around 8mm between the tire and the strut.. add a bit of give going around a corner and a beefier A/T casing and I'm guessing you are going to rub.

·
Registered
2006 WRX Limited 4EAT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if those will fit, you're putting them on stock wheels correct?

You probably won't find wheels in 15 that fit over an SG front brake calipers, the ones that do are really nice rally spec wheels that cost more than a lift. :biggrin:

Our SG came with 215/60-R16; there was about 18mm clearance between the sidewall and the rear struts.. I've got 215/65-R16 on there now and there is still enough room to move up to a 225/ width (~13mm clearance). Moving to a 235/ would give you around 8mm between the tire and the strut.. add a bit of give going around a corner and a beefier A/T casing and I'm guessing you are going to rub.
Hmmmm So after looking and seeing that tire size calculator I did look into some General Grabber AT 2's that are 215/65/R16 and 215/70/R16 as well. Seeing as they are not AS wide as I want (unless I get a different offset wheel but thats out of the option right now) or get spacers. I dont like spacers so Ill stick with these.

Should I have any real issues with the 215/70/R16 hitting the spring seat with how tall they are? Just from looking at the car it looks like I could go up to a 75 series without a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts