Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the second oil change of my 2019 Forester (@ 11,000 miles) the service person at the Subaru dealership made me sign and initial the work order on which she had printed that I refused to have the wheels and tires rotated. She told me that Subaru insisted on tire rotation to reduce wear on the AWD system. Is this a problem because of the new platform -- or was she simply trying to pad the bill? I never rotated the tires on my 2005 Forester and never had an AWD problem over the 146,000 miles that I ran it. I don't rotate the tires since being told by Goodyear tire engineers that, unlike bias-ply tires, radial tires take a 'set' specific to a wheel position once they go through a heat cycle. And that rotating the tires to a different wheel position increases tire wear since the tire 'set' is not correct for that wheel position. I never experienced unusual or rapid wear on the 2005 Forester --- and do not experience it on my V8-powered RWD Mercedes (which also does not get the wheels and tires rotated). So, does Subaru insist on wheel/tire rotation? Or was I being sold a bill of goods?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
I rotate front to back only--not side to side. I find front tires tend to wear a bit more on the outsides from turning, while the rear tires, driven mostly unloaded while inflated sufficiently to carry rear passengers and cargo, tend to wear a bit more in the center. Discount Tire believes enough in rotation to give it to you free with a purchase.

That said, your Service Manager is a control freak that I'd complain to SoA about. She sure doesn't represent Subaru "Love."

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
799 Posts
I hate dealer service, but she was doing her job. If a differential issue surfaced, and Subaru saw that your tire diameters weren't within spec, they could deny a warranty claim. Now if you always used the dealer service then you could point to them and say; well they should have been rotating the tires. You opt'd out of rotating, so they are documenting it, and covering their donkey, as they should. It would be like them doing a timing belt service on the older motors and you refusing to change the water pump or idlers.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,942 Posts
.... I don't rotate the tires since being told by Goodyear tire engineers that, unlike bias-ply tires, radial tires take a 'set' specific to a wheel position once they go through a heat cycle. And that rotating the tires to a different wheel position increases tire wear since the tire 'set' is not correct for that wheel position.....
That's old school idea. The last time I heard that idea was back in the 70's. It's been debunked a long time ago. And if it was true why do all tire manufacturers recommend rotating tires?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts