Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Forester needs new tires. Only drove 40k miles in 5 years. Need to decide what to buy. I live in the HOT Southwest where summer temps can get to 115.

I got 2 recommendations from Firestone:
Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422 PLUS
Firestone Destination LE2

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,828 Posts
Check out the recommendations on Tirerack. They are well categorized.

And then compare Tirerack and Discount Tire Direct for prices (including shipping)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,326 Posts
I got 2 recommendations from Firestone:
Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422 PLUS
Firestone Destination LE2
Thoughts?
I know it's been a long time since the huge recalls of the Firestone 500 and Wilderness AT tires, two debacles that resulted in hundreds of fatalities and an attempt by Firestone to cover up. I've avoided Firestone tires ever since and will never run them on any of my cars. Same goes for Dayton Tires, a division of Firestone. There are too many other brands to choose from that have not had Firestone's problems. Personally my favorite brand is Michelin.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
713 Posts
In those high heat zones think you're smart to replace the tires every 5 years.. 👏

Suggest go to a local/regional tire store that has lot of locations in the area you drive, so their customer service will take care of you down the road even if you're away from home. Look for the less common (here in the northwest) "summer tire" or "summer touring tire" classifications if you still want to shop tire details yourself.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
155 Posts
If you have a Costco membership, they currently have a sale on Bridgestone tires, ends tonight. The previously mentioned Ecopia EP422 are well rated.
BFG Advantage TA is another good tire if you don't off-road and want something sportier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Weren't most of Firestone's tire failures caused by Ford recommending too low a pressure?
But like you said, there are plenty of other brands that haven't had any of those problems.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,326 Posts
Yes, Firestone argued that Ford's recommended 26psi was a contributing factor. However, Ford Explorers were also equipped with Goodyear Wrangler tires which were virtually trouble-free at the same Ford-recommended 26 psi. In addition, although Firestone manufactured the Wilderness tire at three plants the large majority of the tread separation failures were from tires manufactured at their troubled Decatur Illinois plant.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a Costco membership, they currently have a sale on Bridgestone tires, ends tonight. The previously mentioned Ecopia EP422 are well rated.
BFG Advantage TA is another good tire if you don't off-road and want something sportier.
I bought Costco before then ended up getting a job in a town without Costco. I would like to stick with either Firestone or Discount Tire.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can probably wait until next summer to replace the tires... when do tire specials come on? Would like to get on a Buy 3 get 1 special.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Labor Day Weekend is coming up but looks like Bridgestone's promo is currently in progress and lasts into Sept. Hope to see a Buy 3 get 1 special!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Promotions vary by month and retailer. NTB and Pep Boys have buy 3 get 1 free promotions at various times. Though you need to check the fine print, some retailers (NTB) require that you also purchase an expensive alignment package which usually negates the "free" tire savings.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
46 Posts
I'm currently running the Continental ProContact GX tires on my 2016 Forester. I have about 3k miles on them. I'm pretty happy with how they feel and handle. I also had a set of ProContact GX tires on my 08 Outback and got about 60K miles +/- before having to replace them. Over all I've really liked them, good in wet and dry conditions and pretty quiet. Not so great in snow and ice, but I'm guessing that won't be a problem for you in the South West.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts