Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new set of 4 tires for my Forester and I have noticed a handling issue on the freeway. I commute 25 miles to work each way and on areas of the freeway that have heavy grooves cut for drainage I have noticed that the handling seems to be a bit squirmy (technical term I know). The car just seems to be a bit loose. However the problem seems to go away on other sections of the freeway.

I was wondering what might be the cause of the issue: Is it improper wheel balancing?

Or could it have to do with the fact that the tires that were put on my car might no be the appropriate tires. The shop put Uniroyal Tiger Paws M+S rated tires in the right size, but when I went on the Uniroyal web-site to look them up they were not a tire that Uniroyal selected for my specific vehicle type.

Any thoughts?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
If it were a balance issue it would not go away on a different part of the highway. It would shake your steering the second you reached a certain speed.

It is likely that snow tires just aren't meant for cruising on a highway. They have a softer tread compound by design. This softer compound could lead to your squirmy feeling. Performance winter tires would behave better.

Can you share the tire info: make, model and size?

Oh, welcome to the forum from Calgary. In Calgary we actually get a winter. :)

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The uniroyal tigerpaw is basically the lowest end tire on the market. I don't think they even make them anymore. They feel squirmy, because they -are- squirmy. However, you could play with air pressure to make them feel a little better (maybe try 36f 34r)

·
Registered
2008 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it were a balance issue it would not go away on a different part of the highway. It would shake your steering the second you reached a certain speed.

It is likely that snow tires just aren't meant for cruising on a highway. They have a softer tread compound by design. This softer compound could lead to your squirmy feeling. Performance winter tires would behave better.

Can you share the tire info: make, model and size?

Oh, welcome to the forum from Calgary. In Calgary we actually get a winter. :)
They are Tiger Paw AWP II's in 215/60 R16. They have the M+S on the sidewall, but so did the Yokohama's that came as OEM and lasted 32,000 miles. The center tread groove does seem quite wide so maybe that is getting hung up on the road grooves.

If I can't do 75 on them then I might as well get rid of them.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
it could just be the road.........................if it is just that part of the road and no where else, then it could just be the road

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ +1.

And sometimes, it's the particular tire/car combo, on a particular road.

---

Overall, arbolado, like the others here have said, play with the tire-pressures a bit.

But first, spend a few hundred miles on them to burn through the mold-release. Typically, after that's exhausted, the tires will feel a bit more planted/connect to the roadway surfaces - and this happens with *every* tire, be it low-end or high-flight. :smile:

The "M+S" tag really has very little bearing now, with modern tires. It was an old standard which applied to tire tread design and void-spacing.

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
You describe tramlining which is at least in part a product of the tire and tread design. Any new tire with big blocks of rubber in the design tend to feel squirmy. You asked about improper balancing, which I think would manifest in more of a vibration or a repetitive noise as opposed loose handling. How's the alignment? I would have it done everytime I get new tires mounted on a DD.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from the tire dealer. He test drove the car and said the tracking issue was quite noticeable. He gave me a choice between some General Tires that he had in stock or a new set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos that he has to order.

I took the Exaltos and will be getting them swaped out tomorrow for only the difference in price between the Uniroyals and the Michelins.

Thanks for all the feedback on the board, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Just got back from the tire dealer. He test drove the car and said the tracking issue was quite noticeable. He gave me a choice between some General Tires that he had in stock or a new set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos that he has to order.

I took the Exaltos and will be getting them swaped out tomorrow for only the difference in price between the Uniroyals and the Michelins.

Thanks for all the feedback on the board, I appreciate it.
Just curious, but which generals did they have? They have some decent low cost tires, however those michelins are pretty good as well. Definitely better than the uniroyal!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
178 Posts
I run General's on both the FXT and the WRX for Summers (Exclaim UHP) and for winters (Altimax Artctics). Love those tires, but they do tend to tramline a bit on certain types of road surface. Might just be my alignment though, toe-out on the front.:biggrin:

Those Michelins are nice tires too. Had a Lexus RX350 in the shop on those and they felt nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts