1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for my tire change over today, got the dreaded call;
"one of your summers is wrecked, rubber all over.. can't put that one on.."
<pause> "and you know because it's an awd subaru..." cha-ching..

I had them put the winters back on, so I have about a month of warming weather to decide what to do...

Take a look at the pics, what do you say?
These are the OEM geolanders 36K, mount up or new tire time??

tread;

one of the other three for reference;

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
I normally look at tread depth. Not the inside of the tire. To me, they look ok. :shrug:

BTW, the Geolanders are not summer tires. They're adequate all seasons, at best.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Was that tire run flat or low on air ? Its hard to see in the pics but it the tire thinner there where the marks are?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Any chance of tire manufacturers warranty? You might be able to work with a tire dealer on a credit of the remaining tread of all four tires based on Subaru's requirement of having all four tires within a specific range. Since you have the tire to show them easily.
That would only apply if the tire shop sells the brand that you want installed and can do a warranty without ordering tires in (they might bill for an upgraded Yokohama?).

Why I suggest this is, recently my neighbor had problems with his OEM Bridgestone's on his 08 Civic. One of the belts shifted, he was going to replace the tires with Michelins when the OEM's wore out. The tire dealer gave him warranty for two tires (?) and he paid a small upgrade fee for two Michelins and bought two, so he essentially got four tires for approximately half price.

Might be worth a try.

(Mike which two dealers in your area were owned by the same people? I've got a friend in Kelowna that's looking for a Subaru)

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I would investigate the warranty. Have them comment on the issue before you spend any of your money. As mentioned above you could get a discount on four replacement Geolanders. Maybe AT/S tires.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
I'm confused. What did the shop say is wrong with the tires?
The look to have a lot of thread left.
There are some marks on the inside but it looks like they were made with the bar that they use to pry the tires off during the mounting/dismounting. They are just scratches and nothing serious.
If anything, you can take these tires to different shop and tell them to put them on as the winter is getting over. Don't mention anythign about other shop's concerns.
you should be fine.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was that tire run flat or low on air ? Its hard to see in the pics but it the tire thinner there where the marks are?
I had this one tire go flat, it rolled ~15ft while I stopped and switched it for the spare, The tire shop said inner liner damage due to running it flat.. and that this tire is toast.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Well I quess if that's the tire shop you always use, then it's probably not worth the effort for a second opinion. If you had to buy tires would it likely be from that dealer? Or do you think someone else might want to work with you for your business?:lildevil::eek:

(thanks for the info)

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the feeling this particular tire shop was hungry for a sale,
they were all over the four new tires while on the phone..:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
I am no expert, but it doesn't look like the side wall compromised at all. Just some surface/cosmetic damage. Did you run on these tires AFTER you had the flat that caused the damage? Maybe go to another Tire shop or the dealer and get a second opinion.

There should be a prorated warranty left on these tires, if you decide to replace. There would be something in with your Warranty info (with the manual).

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Tire warranty is usually passed off to a tire dealer who handles the manufacturers brand. Didn't think it was relevant since so much time has passed, but when my Mazda pickup had a tire with the belt separated, I was referred to a local tire shop that handled the warranty, they billed for two based on remaining tread depth. I think I paid about 33 bucks for two new tires.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to see what a dealership tells you, I'd tell them you had a slow leak before switching over to your snows.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
Yeah the warranty is not from Subaru, but from the tire manufacturer. There would be a separate pamphlet in the car for the tire warranty. Usually it is prorated over 2-4 years.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I'd just go with new tires. Doesn't make sense to pay to mount a potentially bad tire to have to dismount all 4 and mount new ones. And geos at 36k, they're close to the end anyway. Save the $50+ in mounting/dismounting fees and apply it towards new tires.

Check e-bay, craigslist, then online retailers (DTD seems to have slightly better prices than Tire Rack when you figure in shipping).

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
Well Vicali is a fellow Canadian, so I assume when he says 36K he means 36,000Km (~22,000 miles). By the Picture, it looks like he has more Tread left than me. I am at 40,000Km (~25,000 miles) on my stock Geo's.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Even if it was caused by runing it flat for a while aren't the geo's aproved for running them flat? Warranty claim should do it.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Even if it was caused by runing it flat for a while aren't the geo's aproved for running them flat? Warranty claim should do it.
No, the only tire that can do that is a run flat tire, which a geo most definitely is not. Any tire that is non run flat, you should stop as soon as possible to avoid further damage. It looks like the inner rubber is compromised, but not the belts underneath. It might be fine. The tire shop may not do it because of liability however and I can't fault them for that in today's society...

Anyway Geo's aren't summer that's for sure, in fact, I use them as winter tires. I would never buy new Geo's. Get yourself some good high performance all seasons or summers seeing as you already have snow tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts