Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a great tire that covers ride comfort, has low to very low road noise and promotes higher MPGs?

Our subbie wont be seeing any serious snow and will be driven mainly in California weather nor will it be used for any type of any race of any kind so sharp cornering capabilities are out the door. I'd like to retain decent braking in dry and wet conditions with a good resistance to hydroplaning primarily for safety concerns.

I've owned and driven SUV's (true SUV's that are body on frame vehicles) my whole life and have no idea what tire would suit my preference in our car-like subbie :confused:

So, let the suggestions begin!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
so you want a tire that is more comfortable, quieter, and fuel efficient than the factory tire?

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you want a tire that is more comfortable, quieter, and fuel efficient than the factory tire?
Yes! I have Yokohama YK520's on the car now and it looks like it will last for another year or so but they are loud in both city and beltway roads. They have very even wear and have been checked and balanced plus regular rotations on top of that.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it all seem to boil down to a handful of tires:

- Bridgestone Turenza Serenity
- Michelin Pilot Exalto
- Michelin Primacy MXV4
- Toyo Extensa A/S Tires
- Toyo Versado LX and CUV

Anybody have or had these on their cars?

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Exalto on mine. They are good and i don't see any noise with them, but i don't like their wet traction, as far as fuel economy goes they wouldn't be your best choice since they slip a lot if inflated over 36psi.

·
Registered
'05 Forester XT
110 Posts
We have a set of Michelin Hydroedge on our '05 FXT, and they are great. Nice and quiet ride, very smooth on the road, and we haven't noticed any difference in MPG.

We just went up to the mountains a couple of weeks ago when it was snowing, and they handled great. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Michelin Pilot Exalto on mine. They are good and i don't see any noise with them, but i don't like their wet traction, as far as fuel economy goes they wouldn't be your best choice since they slip a lot if inflated over 36psi.
gotcha.. Thanks for the input bonevvladimir!

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a set of Michelin Hydroedge on our '05 FXT, and they are great. Nice and quiet ride, very smooth on the road, and we haven't noticed any difference in MPG.

We just went up to the mountains a couple of weeks ago when it was snowing, and they handled great. Couldn't be happier.
Aren't the hydroedge uni-directional?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Goodyear Triple treads! I put a set on my inlaws Forester and they love them,

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, looks like all your family members own subarus :smile: now that's loyalty to the brand..

Our subbie is now relatively quiet after i finished installing sound barriers with only the wind noise and tire noise present.

it looks like the triple treads do well in the traction segment but not in ride comfort and noise levels.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
So it all seem to boil down to a handful of tires:

- Bridgestone Turenza Serenity
- Michelin Pilot Exalto
- Michelin Primacy MXV4
- Toyo Extensa A/S Tires
- Toyo Versado LX and CUV

Anybody have or had these on their cars?
We recently installed four new H-rated Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on my wife's '06 Honda Accord SE w/ I4 + 5MT. So far, she's very happy with comfort, road noise, and everyday handling, both dry and wet. A problem with the old tires' rear-end slide while commuting in rain is completely gone.

We had the tires mounted and balanced using a Hunter GSP-9700 balancer with Road Force. Worth every penny.

Ratings from Consumer Reports (top-tested Performance All-Season tires, including "excellent" low rolling resistance), results of Tire Rack tests, and Tire Rack survey feedback greatly influenced our decision to buy these tires. They're not uni-directional, so they get the full rotation pattern, which should help deliver long tire life. And, our car's particular size tire is made here in the USA.

We've not really had a chance to check on fuel economy, but we have high hopes, and we plan to take the Honda on this summer's road trip vacation. Frankly, I'll be disappointed if we manage an average of <35 mpg.

However, if I had to do it all over again today, I'd seriously consider the new H-rated Yokohama ENVigor. Initial reports at Tire Rack are stellar, and it too is made here in the USA, at Yoko's plant in Salem, VA. However, it appears to be unidirectional tire, so rotation is limited to a same-side pattern unless you want to remount the tires on the rims at some point.

I will no doubt consider these tires when it's time to replace the OEM Yokos on my '09 Forester. The ENVigor is available in an exceptionally wide size range, including 225/55R17 H.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
new tires

Definitely go with the Michelin Pilot or Goodyear Tripletred / Comfortread / AquaTred series (depending on your needs). Some of the best all around tires on the market right now that offer all the features you want. Michelin also has other tires similar to the Goodyear ____tred Series. So, any of these will give you an excellent tire. And many are rated at 40,000 or more. Depending on your driving of course.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice alternative crewzer, the Yokohama ENVigor is indeed getting rave reviews!

I'm debating weather to stick with the stock tire size diameter or go ahead with 225/60r17's which is a slightly taller tire. I'll be installing spacers too when the time comes for new tires.

Keep the suggestions coming! They are really helpful.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely go with the Michelin Pilot or Goodyear Tripletred / Comfortread / AquaTred series (depending on your needs). Some of the best all around tires on the market right now that offer all the features you want. Michelin also has other tires similar to the Goodyear ____tred Series. So, any of these will give you an excellent tire. And many are rated at 40,000 or more. Depending on your driving of course.
I've had the best of luck with michelin tires on heavier and bigger vehicles. My driving type would just be most city driving and some beltway ones from time to time. I always drive in a relaxed manner and rarely drive aggressively with the subbie (not enough power in the low-end :biggrin:)

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anybody here run 215/60 r17's?

would that be too tall of a tire and bear a negative effect on my mpg?

I'm thinking about getting a "60" size as I'm concerned about the ride comfort of a shorter tire, like for instance a "55" profile. For those running 215/55 r17's, is the ride harsh and stiff or does it still absorb road impacts/bumps like a "60" profile tire?

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
Skinnier tires = better in rain, quieter, better fuel economy, maybe better ride, will vary with tire brand.

Taller sidewall = better ride, worse cornering

You need to keep the overall tire height close to stock
A shorter sidewall gives you better handling, a wider tread does not, just is better for some things, worse for others.
A heavier tire/wheel combo will handle worse than a lighter combo. Really light rims are really expensive.

To get the tallest sidewall and narrowest tread, you need to go to 15 inch rims, but you might not be able to use them, if they do not clear the front brakes. The rotor diameter will need to be 11 inch or less.

16 inch rims will allow you to go skinnier and softer than 17 inch rims, and will fit any year Forester.

I have 205/60H-16 on my 2006 XT. 215/60H - 16 was standard. I have a shorter sidewall and narrower tread, so I get better cornering, better in rain, and better mileage. I use Michelin Primacy MXV4, a very quiet and nice riding tire. My 2006 XT now sits 1/4 inch lower than stock, but it is still 1/4 inch higher than the 2005 XT.

I do not have a brand or size recommendation for you, except I would not go to a 215/60 - 17, go 16 inch instead.
A 195/60 -17 would suit you nicely, but you would have to make your own.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Skinnier tires = better in rain, quieter, better fuel economy, maybe better ride, will vary with tire brand.

Taller sidewall = better ride, worse cornering

You need to keep the overall tire height close to stock
A shorter sidewall gives you better handling, a wider tread does not, just is better for some things, worse for others.
A heavier tire/wheel combo will handle worse than a lighter combo. Really light rims are really expensive.

To get the tallest sidewall and narrowest tread, you need to go to 15 inch rims, but you might not be able to use them, if they do not clear the front brakes. The rotor diameter will need to be 11 inch or less.

16 inch rims will allow you to go skinnier and softer than 17 inch rims, and will fit any year Forester.

I have 205/60H-16 on my 2006 XT. 215/60H - 16 was standard. I have a shorter sidewall and narrower tread, so I get better cornering, better in rain, and better mileage. I use Michelin Primacy MXV4, a very quiet and nice riding tire. My 2006 XT now sits 1/4 inch lower than stock, but it is still 1/4 inch higher than the 2005 XT.

I do not have a brand or size recommendation for you, except I would not go to a 215/60 - 17, go 16 inch instead.
A 195/60 -17 would suit you nicely, but you would have to make your own.
"worse cornering/handling" does not really apply to me since our subbie will never see a race track and nobody really drives faster than 55 in minor roads or 80 in beltways which are still very moderate speeds. plus i wont be taking corners on an intersection at more than 30 mph, that would just be plain uncomfortable and irrational.

remember, I'm looking for a comfortable, quiet tire that has the capacity to yield better than stock tire mpg.

here's a tire size comparison:

I have 16" steel wheels right now which are quite heavy. the stock/current dimensions are 8.46" in sectional width, 5.07 side wall height and 26.15" overall diameter. I'm leaning towards the 205/60r17 size on a 17X7 rim. it's narrower than the stock tire, about 13mm taller and just 5.84mm shorter in sidewall height.

so, anybody here have 205/60 r17's on their vehicle?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ok, so it looks like the 205/60 r17 size does not exist.

the search continues...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts