Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Forester (first Subaru) sat for quite a while, I think, before I bought it. Also, I'm pretty sure the tires, although the tread is good, are cheapo generics. Here are two symptoms:

1. Left-right gentle wobble in steering wheel at low speeds.
2. Car goes straight while coasting or maintaining moderate speed, but veers / drifts right under acceleration.

I have checked tire pressure.

I'm hoping it's the tires and I'm getting some new Cooper's soon. What do you think?

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
in the winter when temps are cold just sitting over night the tires develop flat spots (temporary thumping) first thing in the morning. gone after a few minutes of driving.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
The Toyos on my race car always have flat spots when I first move it. A lap or two on the track and they are gone. Certain compounds are more likely to do this than others, and it's not necessarily just soft tires.

Now, if the vibration doesn't go away after a couple miles, there's another problem. It could still be the tires; poorly balanced wheels or cars with bad struts can also make flat spots on tires, and when that happens they can only be replaced. A good tire shop should be able to check them pretty quickly for you.

Beyond that you could have lost a wheel weight, bent a wheel, have improperly tightened lugs, etc.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'm still wondering about the drift to the right only while accelerating...

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Cross the 2 front tires and if it pulls the other way it is cause by the tires. Or just rotate the tires and see if it stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts