Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XS 5MT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Geolander AT, and just needed a little info. My research has shown that with a stock size of 215/60/16 I can go with 225/60 or 215/65 without modding my suspension. Is this accurate? It seems that tire rack is the site to order from, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this site. Yokohama® Geolandar A/T-S

They have good prices but I can't seem to find any customer feedback. Should I just play it safe and order from tire rack or go with the better price?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,753 Posts
It's a good time to change your wheel size, if you've had any thoughts of that. We went from 16" to 17" on the '03 Forester & I really liked the looks. :smile:

As to tire size. It kinda depends on what you like. 225 is a nice size, but with the correct offset, 235 will fit on a stock suspension. That's what we're running on the '03, 235/55-17.

As to tires, we wanted high performance rubber, so we selected Toyo Proxes 4.

If you want to play around with tire & wheel sizes, use the tool here. I didn't buy my tires here, but you can see what they have & read the reviews. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XS 5MT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say with the correct offset, what exactly do you mean? Keep in mind that I know nothing of this sort of thing. My budget will not allow me to upgrade wheels at this time.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,753 Posts
Stock offset is +48. I'm running +42 & +40 on our Foesters, which moves the wheels out a bit towards the fender. If you use the fitting tool here, you can see how the tire, wheel & offset can make a world of difference! :wink:

Keep in mind, running a +40/+42 offset can stress the wheel bearings, so there's the possiblity of early failure. So far, no problems on our Foresters. :smile:

The first round on my '03, I stuck with the 16" wheels, which cost me more later on. When I changed to 17" wheels, I had to buy the wheels, plus new tires! :frown:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I usually order from tirerack or discount tire direct. They both have good customer support and ship very quickly. 225/60/16 and 215/65/16 will fit perfectly. If you want something more offroad capable the 65 series is good (I'm guessing by the choice of geolandar ats that you're looking at something more offroad oriented). the 225 will be wider while the 65 will be taller.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XS 5MT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually order from tirerack or discount tire direct. They both have good customer support and ship very quickly. 225/60/16 and 215/65/16 will fit perfectly. If you want something more offroad capable the 65 series is good (I'm guessing by the choice of geolandar ats that you're looking at something more offroad oriented). the 225 will be wider while the 65 will be taller.
That's about right, and the 65 seems to be easier to find and a tad bit cheaper. After talking to Smash and Subacool I think the Geos are a better fit for me since most of my driving is on the road. I should be ordering in the next few days and will try to post some before and afters. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XS 5MT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And now another question regarding wheels. I'm thinking about getting some steel for offroad so I can have two sets. After trying to find some, I don't how the sizes work as far as width, bolt pattern, etc. How does one find this out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts