Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.5xt
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my DPT's last Wednesday which I was syked about by the way, wheels look awesome. Took them into (chose to censor the tire company you can PM if you absolutely must know) to get them mounted Friday morning and they wrapped them in some 245/40's and I love them. Drove the car home (MAYBE 1 mile away in town) and took pictures right when I got home.

Come Sunday a buddy of mine comes over and before even knocking on the door to let me know he's there he had already checked the wheels out and the first thing he says to me "why are all of your wheels bent?". In disbelief I go outside and he points it out to me and sure enough all 4 wheels are bent. Thinking "really!" I go back to the pictures I took Friday right after the tires had been mounted and sure enough, you can see that the wheels are bent in the pictures.

Went back to the shop this morning to ask them about it and they gave me a couple of different scenarios, non of which included the possibility that the damage was done by them. Also, they insist that the damage was cause by an impact with something...

Scenario 1: Wheels were dropped during shipping which can often happen.

My Response: Checked the wheels when I unboxed them and there wasn't anything wrong with them.

Scenario 2: You hit something while you were driving home and the wheels bent.

My response: I don't even live more than 1 mile away and you cant hit something that is going to dent all 4 wheels at under 35mph like that without noticing. (also, there was no damage to the outside of the wheel or scuff marks past the inner part of the lip of the wheel)

After that he ran out of excuses and told me "well, there is nothing in our shop that would bend a rim"...

The thing is, the mark on the lips match to the size of the bar they use to pull the top part of the tire past the rim when they are mounting it. I know because I've mounted tires before. And they put this bar right where the lip is too, you can even see the mark on the inside of the lip of the wheel.

Not sure how else to resolve this without taking them to small claims court.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,485 Posts
I would definitely make sure to talk to the manager of the shop if you haven't already. If that doesn't work, find out who the district manager is and contact him/her. You might even try sending a message to their Twitter or Facebook accounts, sometimes that helps people reach someone at the Corporate office.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
You should of checked them before you left the place that put them on, after you drove off with them its out of their hands, and pretty much your word against theirs.

·
Registered
2004 2.5xt
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should of checked them before you left the place that put them on, after you drove off with them its out of their hands, and pretty much your word against theirs.
Yeah I should have checkd, you're right. I've had this place work on all my other cars before, you get complacent after awhile and a certain trust is built, then something like this catches you off guard.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
picks of the damage? What do you mena by "bent"? Is it the lip, the entire wheel?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think you're going to have to settle in the middle somewhere. That's extremely unfortunate though.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Someone once told me, "You should be ready to sue even your parents at some time in your life, so take pictures and document everything."

I thought it was rather cynical but he had a point...

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
That sucks. I've have rims bent by the shipper before (usually a dropped box) and it is hard to see it until a tire is mounted.

How long ago did they arrive? You still might be able to put a claim in with the shipper. I had a set of wheels that had one bent rim, but I didn't notice until a tire was mounted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts