Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester Automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for some tire chains or cables for the upcoming winter season, mainly to use on sketchily plowed access roads to local skiing hotspots. People seem to agree that the SZ135 Super Z6 (Peerless Industries) is a good fit. Here's my question: My owner's manual says I should put chains on the front tires ONLY. My local auto parts dealer says I should put them on all four tires. My inclination is to go with Subaru's advice, not least because it will cost me less. But I'm wondering if this chain dealer is privy to some inside knowledge. Can anyone help?

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I'm new to these forums and I'm still getting the lay of the land. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L 5 Speed
203 Posts
Definitely go with Subaru's recommendation. However, in a forester if you're in a situation where chains are necessary...you may want to reconsider driving. Most people seem to prefer snow tires over chains. These vehicles are EXTREMELY capable in the snow with a decent set of snow tires.

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
It's going to be hard to fit chains on the front tires and clear the strut mounts. If you want to chain up, I'd just do the rear.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Baja Sport 5 speed
14 Posts
I have put chains on my 06 Baja, but not on our 14 Forester yet. As far as the Baja goes, you can only fit chains on the front wheels. I used the Suregrip Z, and Super Z on them. The rear wheels do not have enough clearance for either of them.
I can't remember what the manual said, or didn't say about chains on the Forester, but whichever end is the one you can't put them on, I'm sure it's a clearance issue.
Other than going through the mountain passes, you really don't need them unless you are driving down icy hills. Even then, you can get away without them if you have the right tires, however my experience with studless tires is that my car will not stop if I brake going down an iced over hill. They handled great otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts