Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for new tires. I do NOT want Yokohama Geolander tires!!! These are the original tires with less than 40K on them and the right side outside of the tires are all but bald. :yell: They have been properly maintained, inflated and rotated. I need something decent especially for winter, rain, and mud. Something to also add a little ground clearance. I am looking for something I will get 60K plus out of them. My mother has over 120K on her car and is only on her second set of tires. I am not sure what the deal with Yokohama tires is but I am definitely not a fan. Can you all help me out!!!???

·
Registered
2009 Forester
96 Posts
A few people on here have highly recommended Michelin Primacy MXV4 as a great all-season tire. They are also (I believe( the #1 rated tire at tirerack.com in the "Grand Touring" category. They are supposedly very comfortable, and long wearing. Not the cheapest tire, but not super expensive like some of the summer sport tires.

Another thing to consider is buying 2 sets (depending where you live). 1 set of dedicated snow, and 1 set of all seasons... This will make your all seasonas last longer, and you would have the benefit of amazing winter traction when it gets nasty.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
If you want a good year round tire and don't drive especially hard, you might want to look at the Goodyear TripleTred, a bit pricy , but you should be able to get 60-80k out of them and they're amazing in any weather.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
I have some Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on my car right now. I like them, but treadwear is not what I expected. You might want to look into Michelin HydroEdges. I had those on my previous car and they will last a LOOONG time. They are rated for 90,000 miles. But, depending on what your typical winter is, you might want a cheap set of snow tires instead of the HydroEdges.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Unfortunately if you want good in mud and snow that really cuts down on the life of the tire. You'll get max life out of all seasons. Not out of a snow or mud style tire.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Keep in mind that most if not all OEM supplied tires do not have a long life-span, pretty much a compromise of cost and comfort for the manufacturers. I'd suggest checking out TireRacks website and checking out the Survey's of the All-Season tires, with emphasize on the performance All-Seasons. I went with Continental Extreme Contacts on my 08, pretty much based on our members responses to other posts and comments that they were a pretty well rounded (no pun intended) tire. I'm happy with them but also know they won't handle the winter snow I like to drive in, so I also have a set of dedicated snows (General Arctic).

·
Supporting Vendor
2008 All
874 Posts
I am in the market for new tires. I do NOT want Yokohama Geolander tires!!! These are the original tires with less than 40K on them and the right side outside of the tires are all but bald. :yell: They have been properly maintained, inflated and rotated. I need something decent especially for winter, rain, and mud. Something to also add a little ground clearance. I am looking for something I will get 60K plus out of them. My mother has over 120K on her car and is only on her second set of tires. I am not sure what the deal with Yokohama tires is but I am definitely not a fan. Can you all help me out!!!???
We'd be happy to help you with your tires. If all 4 of your tires are wearing more on the outside is sounds like you may have a suspension or alignment issue. I'd recommend having that looked at before you bolt up some new tires. If the alignment is off your new tires will wear the same.

Let us know if we can help. We'd be happy to make a recommendation for you. Shipping is FREE. 1.888.459.4080

-Travis

·
Registered
2008 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, after thinking a little...I live in South Central PA...near York/Harrisburg, come on! I don't need snow/mud tires all that bad! We get more rain over anything else anyway.

I drive mostly highway and hard roads, rarely a dirt road so a tire more for that venue would be the most appropriate for me.

As for the wearing issue. My car will not pass inspection without a new set of tires unfortunately. Like I had said earlier the wearing issue is on the outside of both passenger side tires. I originally thought it was just isolated to the rear since that is the first tire that grips but the front is just as worn. The drivers side tires are actually in somewhat decent shape but are too worn to pass inspection. I will definitely have my mechanic take a gander at the suspension alignment. I am fortunate with having, dare I say it, an honest mechanic, so he will be brutally honest with me.

Something that would be great all around but ok in the snow would be fine. We don't get much snow and haven't gotten much snow for quite some time now. Although this year may be different, I am going to stick with my gut and say that we won't get much. Any tire that I can get 60-90K out of would satisfy me!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
79 Posts
A few people on here have highly recommended Michelin Primacy MXV4 as a great all-season tire. They are also (I believe( the #1 rated tire at tirerack.com in the "Grand Touring" category. They are supposedly very comfortable, and long wearing. Not the cheapest tire, but not super expensive like some of the summer sport tires.

Another thing to consider is buying 2 sets (depending where you live). 1 set of dedicated snow, and 1 set of all seasons... This will make your all seasonas last longer, and you would have the benefit of amazing winter traction when it gets nasty.
I have just got these tires and all I have to say is that turns the car into a towncar in the noise department and also the ride is great. Now I start to think the suspension is rather needing a beef up:) Worth the price and consideration. I love mine... I did go with the 225/65/16. They are meaty. I might take some pics to show them up.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
96 Posts
I have just got these tires and all I have to say is that turns the car into a towncar in the noise department and also the ride is great. Now I start to think the suspension is rather needing a beef up:) Worth the price and consideration. I love mine... I did go with the 225/65/16. They are meaty. I might take some pics to show them up.
Did you mean 215/65/16?

225/65/16 would be a pretty big increase in size over the stock 225/55/17(MY09/10 Premium+). Looks like almost 3% increase is size.

Just a typo? or did you go BIG?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
79 Posts
Did you mean 215/65/16?

225/65/16 would be a pretty big increase in size over the stock 225/55/17(MY09/10 Premium+). Looks like almost 3% increase is size.

Just a typo? or did you go BIG?
215/65/16 is the stock tire, and i went to 225/65/16. this is not a big incrase... 1.9 to be correct

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
I've got 48K on my Bridgestone G009's and have been extremely happy. Great dry traction and excellent in snow and rain. Size 215/60/16. They have a little left on them, but not sure if they will make it through the entire winter. Guess I'll find out in the first snow storm.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
FWIW, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 came out on top of Consumer Reports ratings of "performance all-season" tires. The tested size was 215/60R16 (H; 500 A A). Test results were:

Good:
  • Noise
  • Snow Traction
Very Good:
  • Dry braking
  • Wet braking
  • Handling
  • Hydroplaning
  • Ice braking
  • Ride comfort
  • Tread life
Excellent:
  • Rolling resistance

The Continental ContiProContact 215/60R16 (H; 500 AA A) scored many of the same results, but was down one notch in ice braking, tread life (both "good"), and rolling resistance ("very good").

Finally, Michelin appears to have a rebate program ($70 / 4 tires?) going on through Nov. 15.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

R

·
0 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXV4 vs Pirelli P4 Four Seasons

I've only had these Michelin Primacy MXV4's for a few weeks, but for what it's worth, they seem to have better side-to-side grip on dry roads than my Pirelli P4 Four Seasons, and they squeak less. On certain roads, these Michelins seem to "hum" slightly louder than my Pirelli's. My Michelins are also made in the USA, if that matters to you.

PM me in March, and I'll tell you how they handle in extremely icy conditions. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
09 Forester
94 Posts
What size tires are people putting on the stock 17? I have an MY09 XT limited and need new tires as the GeoCrappers now have a "shifted belt" inside of them.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
389 Posts
Micheys

Yeah, don't mean to harp too much about the Michelin Primacy MXV4s...but I've got about 3000 miles on em, and I'm def happy with their all-around performance. Took em into the snow (pavement) and had zero issue. They performed beautifully. I have not tried them in mud or off-road yet.

That being said, i would read as many reviews as possible on the major tire dealers websites. If treadwear is your thing, the MXV4 are rated up to 60,000 miles, not to mention are decent M+S too.

Here's what the look like on my 17" wheels. Best of luck!

http://www.subaruforester.org/gallery/file.php?n=1640&w=o

1 - 20 of 38 Posts