Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01' Forester gets intermintent gas smells. It's not every time I drive it but I can smell it from time to time. Thinking it might be coming from the back pasenger side but sniffing around isn't an exact science. Waited under the car for 10 minutes after one day that the smell was really bad but there were no drips anywhere that I could see. I did some searching and most the threads are about gas leaks. I'm not sure that that is what I have since I'm not dripping any gas. Any tips would be much appricated.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
If you aren't throwing any CEL codes, then it may not be the fuel filler spout... though that's still your best bet.
Check under the driver's side rear door for fuel drips while the car is running. The fuel lines can rust through where they're exposed for a few inches before connecting to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Most likely the fuel filler tube. Take off the rear passenger side wheel and the plastic cover over the metal tube.
That or possibly the small exposed section of fuel line underneath the rear driverside door. I have had both rot out on my '99.

I didn't get any codes for my fuel line leak but did get codes for the filler neck.

Edit: Duder beat me to to it. lol.

·
Registered
2007 Forester X Special E 4eat
20 Posts
Around my area of the world (eastern canada) the gas tank rust's out on the top near where the fuel pump/sender unit is in the tank. kind of a hollow low sect of the tank in that area that collects dirt and salt from the road. Hope its not your problem...big job on a older forester.
Lorenzo.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
^did your Forester do that? I know that's a common issue with Fords around here.
mine was just the fuel lines that were connected to the tank, and not the tank itself. The car has spent it's life in Northern Ontario (North Bay) for all 285k.

·
Registered
2007 Forester X Special E 4eat
20 Posts
NO, my 03 X is well protected with rust preventive liquid material. I have a close friend who services Subaru's and other imports, He informed me of a couple tanks he has replaced on the earlier first generation forester. "bad gas smell in vechicle with no visable loss from under the vechicle" He recommends removing the fuel sender access cover in the rear floor, cleaning that area and apply a fluid film metal protector or equivalant before its to late. This post has reminded me to get to it and pull that cover.
Lorenzo
note...my 03X is holding up real well in this very harsh climate

·
Registered
2001 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks for the replys. I will problay have some time in the next few weeks (after finals to track it down). I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again,

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts