Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
@Canonshooter Let me begin by saying I have no experience myself in driving in sand, but, from what I have read on numerous Forums:

The one thing you forgot to mention was that the "plastic sump guard" can be a real hazard itself in sand, either remove it first or replace it with a solid aluminum one.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Great write up!

joe r

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me begin by saying I have no experience myself in driving in sand, but, from what I have read on numerous Forums:

The one thing you forgot to mention was that the "plastic sump guard" can be a real hazard itself in sand, either remove it first or replace it with a solid aluminum one.
Casper, thanks for taking the time to read the article and comment! Though I have yet to have any difficulty with the OEM shield, the aluminum aftermarket version looks much more sturdy. I did have to replace one of those little plastic spoilers in front of the front wheels though.

·
Administrator
16,595 Posts
Yeah, good write up & good advice. May want to add a warning not to turn too quickly on sand as the vehicle can roll. This has been the downfall of many novice sand drivers.

My step-daughter returned from Fraser Island (largest sand island in the world?) late last night and I know that somewhere up there they rolled their Suzuki. I'm waiting to hear the full details but if it was on sand I'm willing to bet that turning too quickly was the cause. I do know that everyone is OK - thank god!

PS - so since this post I've found out they didn't even make it to the island but lost control after hitting a pot hole on a mainland dirt road on their way to the island.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Turning too quickly also digs in a lot harder and you can get bogged (not only pushing deeper into the sand but also loosing momentum)
Dont brake hard to stop or you will dig a hole - brake if needed to slow, then let the sand stop you.

Still not sure if you mean a snatch strap when you say a tow rope.
Id say you want to use an elastic snatch strap not an inelastic tow rope - an tow rope could easily damage the car by putting large forces on it.

If it was using a snatch strap your advise on how to use it is not much good - you dont want to take up the slack, you want to keep a bit of slack and have the puller drive off at a slow steady pace. The strap will go taut and then stretch and start to pull. At this point you try and drive it out. If it doesnt work and the pull vehicle stops, repeat it again with a bit more speed.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Also - airing down isnt just about the sidewalls, its mostly about changing the length of the contact patch, not the width!

A plank of wood (or 2) can be handy to jam under a wheel to help it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,678 Posts
Great article!

I guess whether you need an aluminum skidplate depends on the sand and conditions. I definitely wasn't comfortable with the stock cover at Island Beach State Park in NJ. Another tip if you get stuck is to let a little more air out of the tires. I used to drive my 97 OB Sport on the beach and the three times that I got stuck were due to not airing down enough (the low clearance didn't help either :smile: ).

-Dennis

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Thanks for the very nice article. My wife and I are planning a trip to Pismo Beach (Oceano Dunes Park) in California next week. That is the only beach where it's legal to drive a vehicle to the water's edge, in california that is. My car is lowered 1 inch on Swifts. I hope I don't run into problem. I think the path is well traveled, and they say that even passenger cars can make it through if they stay on the hard pack, and not to the dunes/soft sand area. I think I will try it.. but will not go on the soft sand.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Thanks for the very nice article. My wife and I are planning a trip to Pismo Beach (Oceano Dunes Park) in California next week. That is the only beach where it's legal to drive a vehicle to the water's edge, in california that is. My car is lowered 1 inch on Swifts. I hope I don't run into problem. I think the path is well traveled, and they say that even passenger cars can make it through if they stay on the hard pack, and not to the dunes/soft sand area. I think I will try it.. but will not go on the soft sand.
Take some pictures!

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the path is well traveled, and they say that even passenger cars can make it through if they stay on the hard pack, and not to the dunes/soft sand area. I think I will try it.. but will not go on the soft sand.
I think you will be fine as long as you avoid the soft stuff. And yes, take some pics!

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,678 Posts
With all the talk of being careful not to spin the wheels, why no mention of using "snow hold" mode for the AT?
Because the article was written from a N. American's perspective and we don't have that. :smile:

What is it? Does it make the car start in a higher gear to help avoid wheel spin? I guess moving the selector to "2" on an auto would have the same effect.

-Dennis

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
I found that article very helpful! Good writing!

I'll have to get one of those recovery straps. Mine is like a poly weaved rope. I got it because it was the only strap that wasn't made of webbing that had closable hooks.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I found that article very helpful! Good writing!

I'll have to get one of those recovery straps. Mine is like a poly weaved rope. I got it because it was the only strap that wasn't made of webbing that had closable hooks.
Just a note, I would get a tow rope and D shackles instead of one with hooks built in. My friends had an unfortunate incident with a few of them in which the rope started to fray where the hook was and snapped damaging a number of vehicles.

Would a tranny cooler be recommended for an AT in sand?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Just a note, I would get a tow rope and D shackles instead of one with hooks built in. My friends had an unfortunate incident with a few of them in which the rope started to fray where the hook was and snapped damaging a number of vehicles.
Good point. I've always heard and read that tow straps with hooks attached are a bad idea. Better to get load rated shackles (not hardware store shackles!), like those made by Black Rat.

Would a tranny cooler be recommended for an AT in sand?
Yes!

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
What is it? Does it make the car start in a higher gear to help avoid wheel spin? I guess moving the selector to "2" on an auto would have the same effect.
Putting it in "2' only stops it going to higher gears, it doesnt stop it using 1.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts