Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Tint Ticket

4K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  PSUblueSubie 
#1 ·
Got pulled over for tints on my Foz in Manhattan. Fine, I have tints, I accept that. Cop proceeded to give me TWO tickets. One for each front window. Can they do that? I've never heard of that before.

#3 ·
You ran into Officer Bad-mood. That sucks.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, nor a cop. This is my opinion only.

I tried reading the statute (375-12a) and it describes each window separately, so an anal cop could
probably (well there is no 'probably' about it, s/he did write you the tickets) write you 2 tickets.
1 for the right front window and 1 for the left front window.

#6 ·
So what I could find for you which may have changed since this was written but apparently you can have 70% on the front windows

NYS VTL Sect 375-12 a:
(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway,
road or street:
(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or
treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six
inches of the windshield; or
(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of
or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or
treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent; or
(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe,
hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light
transmittance of less than seventy percent; or
(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated
with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy
percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both
sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a
clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such
vehicle.
(c) Any person required for medical reasons to be shielded from the
direct rays of the sun and/or any person operating a motor vehicle
belonging to such person or in which such person is an habitual
passenger shall be exempt from the provisions of subparagraphs one and
two of paragraph (b) of this subdivision provided the commissioner has
granted an exemption and notice of such exemption is affixed to the
vehicle as directed by the commissioner. The applicant for such
exemption must provide a physician's statement with the reason for the
exemption, the name of the individual with a medically necessary
condition operating or transported in the vehicle, the specific
condition involved, and the minimum level of light transmission
required. The commissioner shall only authorize exemptions where the
medical condition certified by the physician is contained on a list of
medical conditions prepared by the commissioner of health pursuant to
subdivision sixteen of section two hundred six of the public health law.
If such such exemption is granted, the commissioner shall make a record
thereof and shall distribute a sufficiently noticeable sticker to the
applicant to be attached to any window so shielded or altered pursuant
to such exemption.
(d) The commissioner may test any window for a person who has been
charged with violating this subdivision. If such window is found to be
in conformity with this subdivision, a small label attesting to the
conformity shall be affixed to the window tested.
also check out http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/opinion1-09.pdf

#7 · (Edited)
I used to get tickets for tint and double parking all the time. I had a show car that I drove almost daily. I paid them with a smile. That just the way it goes. Now as for the two tickets, I would take it to court. Bring copies of cases for others with tint tickets. Show a precident that 1 tick per violation is the normal practice.

Edit: This won't help for now, but could you get a note from you Dr. to get permission for it? I had to get a note for work to allow me to tint a company van. I get migraines when exposed to sunlight. That same note would work for the cops too I guess?

#11 ·
What about taking a photo of an identical car in minus tint as proof and then going on your way. Not that I am saying to break the law but how exactly do you prove it was removed?

I also got a tint ticket maybe 12 years ago. Front windsheild strip too low. I peeled it on the spot and still got the ticket. LOL

#24 ·
I looked into this last year. I need to have:
- porphyria
- xeroderma pigmentosa
- severe drug photo-sensitivity

and I have none of these. Even with claiming any of these, I need a doctor's note and the commissioner may still either a) ask for more documentation or a second opinion or b) can still deny it.

#15 ·
Wow, that sucks, I've gotten tickets for tints twice in my life in Manhattan but never two at once, what a dick. Just pay the fine, and move on, you don't have to do anything. If you do want to fight, you may have to remove the tints, not worth the effort in my book. You could try just fighting it by mail or internet, I bet you get it knocked down to one window at least.

And for the poster that commented about having 70% tints being legal, that's how your window comes from the factory, with 70%tint in it, anything darker is technically illegal.

#17 ·
Those tickets go under equipment violations . There are no points involed. It is still a PIA. The tickets have to be about $150 each with surcharge . Did you read the PDF I posted? Most of the time when appear in traffic court in NYC you loose. There is no plea bargaining in NYC traffic court. If you want to go to court make sure you know the law and you are right. Or else you are going to loose and feel even worse.

#18 ·
^^When I got that ticket it was only $45 or $50. Unless it's gone up drastically in the past couple of years I think that's what he's looking at.

I think these tickets are the type where you go to that 3 ring circus down on John st? Same place as parking tickets. If it is the same court you go to, I have had great success arguing tickets in there, including an equipment ticket I fought because I had a clear cover over my license plate (don't get those , there illegal!). In addition to wiping out tickets numerous times, I've gotten them to completely refund me on towing fees.

If that's the same court, I'd give it a shot, it's a joke. If it's real court, Jim is probably right, but I don't think the tint ticket is that expensive.

#31 ·
In PA windows have to allow for 70% light transmission, which is how most vehicles come from the factory. Certain vehicle (like SUV's for example) can tint from the rear passenger windows back. I argue that the Foz is in fact and SUV, how else could it win Car and Driver's 5 Best Truck award for best small SUV?

In PA, you only get one ticket for tint, but the fine is like 300 bucks. Which sucks because I want to tint from the passengers back, like privacy glass.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.