Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a bit lately about window tint and apparently 70% visibility is the legal limit. I don't know of anybody ever actually doing 70 because that's hardly even noticeable right? If you live in NYS, or even better - on Long Island- Nassau or Suffolk - what do you think is a good tint to get that'll look pretty nice but still not dark enough to get hassled by the police.

Definitely a big part of getting tint tickets, I think, is the rest of the car and how its being driven. If I had a red WRX wagon and I drove like a jackass all over town, I'd be worried. But my black 98 Forester is very unassuming, aside from its exhaust note. I don't drive very fast, try not to draw unwanted attention. So how about it, how dark do you guys feel comfortable with and what is your experience with our local cops giving tint tickets?

My good friend got a tint ticket recently, dark tint on a black cherry mica Mazdaspeed 6 with with 3" turboback exhaust. Thing sounds like a monster. I'm starting to think I won't have too much to worry about with my car as long as it's not very dark. What do you think?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
Its whether or not you draw attention. My modded FSXT has 35% tint and I haven't been stopped yet. However, I have 20% on my wife's silver Honda Pilot and I get stopped. I think with the lighter color and darker tint, the contrast is greater. More noticeable.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I've been reading a bit lately about window tint and apparently 70% visibility is the legal limit. I don't know of anybody ever actually doing 70 because that's hardly even noticeable right? If you live in NYS, or even better - on Long Island- Nassau or Suffolk - what do you think is a good tint to get that'll look pretty nice but still not dark enough to get hassled by the police.

Definitely a big part of getting tint tickets, I think, is the rest of the car and how its being driven. If I had a red WRX wagon and I drove like a jackass all over town, I'd be worried. But my black 98 Forester is very unassuming, aside from its exhaust note. I don't drive very fast, try not to draw unwanted attention. So how about it, how dark do you guys feel comfortable with and what is your experience with our local cops giving tint tickets?

My good friend got a tint ticket recently, dark tint on a black cherry mica Mazdaspeed 6 with with 3" turboback exhaust. Thing sounds like a monster. I'm starting to think I won't have too much to worry about with my car as long as it's not very dark. What do you think?
I thought NYS was 35% max besides rear window (you can black that out I think) and no tint is allowed on front and front side windows. :crazy:

·
Registered
07 Legacy
90 Posts
Hey, I have an 08 forester and live in Nassau. I have 20% tint on the rear 5 windows and so far, knock on wood, have never been stopped by the cops.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right, this is encouraging so far. Next question would be where to go and how much to pay for it. I live in Huntington, don't mind going for a drive really. What do you think?

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Lee Berb tints in Jersey. He works on the weekends. 4 years in Manhattan with 20% tint all around, got 1 ticket, it was like $45. Just for the record, any tint at all on the front driver and passenger windows besides what comes from the factory is technically illegal in NYS.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
FYI the stock glass is 70% so technically no tint is legal. however since our cars are considered SUVs, you cant tint the rear windows whatever you want. most suvs come stock w/ privacy tint anyways... the fronts however are another story.

i have 35% fronts, 20% all the way around. i have never been pulled over, however you never know if the cop wants to be a dh. bottom line is a cop can and will do whatever they want and let the courts sort all the bs out.

if you are in suffolk county i recommend underground tint in bohemia. best place ive ever been to, not a fly by night shop and warrenties any problems - which i have yet to see.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
FYI the stock glass is 70% so technically no tint is legal. however since our cars are considered SUVs, you cant tint the rear windows whatever you want. most suvs come stock w/ privacy tint anyways... the fronts however are another story.
You can have dark tint regardless of whether or not you have an SUV. Meaning, on a Corolla, you can have 5% on your rear windows.

And yes, when I got stopped with the Pilot, they used a tint gauge and said I had 12% tint when I had 20% tint. The stock glass is also tinted slightly.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
There is a way legally to use any tint you want in New York State !

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv80w.pdf
I'm trying to get that technacality (sp?). I don't have a skin disorder, but my eyes are very light sensitive. I just have to get my eye doctor to fill it out. If DMV accepts it, great. If not, I'm back at square one so its worth a shot.

·
Registered
2012 VW TDI R-Wagen DSG
1,046 Posts
I'm trying to get that technacality (sp?). I don't have a skin disorder, but my eyes are very light sensitive. I just have to get my eye doctor to fill it out. If DMV accepts it, great. If not, I'm back at square one so its worth a shot.

·
Registered
2005 9-2x Aero Manual
343 Posts
In my opinion, 35% all around looks nice and doesn't draw attention. I haven't done my newest car yet, but I've had a couple of cars like this previously, and never been pulled over for tint. You could do 35% front and darker in the rear, but it will make the overall appearance of the front darker I think, and personally I like it to all match.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
I live in CT, but constantly travel in and through NY and I have 35% tint and they have never bothered me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts