Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm planning to tint windows on my FXT, but after reading the forums I got a bit confused. Some say that you should tint the whole car ("since privacy glass hasn't got any UV blocking"; but isn't normal untinted glass blocking UV anyway??), some say that fronts only is the go. What is the consensus?

In relation to tint - for example when its said "35% tint" - does it mean 35% of light is blocked, or is it the other way around ie. 65% blocked? What is the % rating of privacy glass on MY11?

Any recommendations of good tinters? (preferably Sth-Eastern suburbs, but will consider others too). What %? What $$$ for the whole car / fronts only?

Much appreciated.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
I've had 5% on the backs of all my cars (only 5% of the light gets through) and on my current car I did 35% on the fronts. My SH also came with the privacy glass but I slapped the 5% on top of it anyway. I have no issues with visibility but I drive a lot during sun rise and sun set so the added protection to me is a must. Check your local laws pertaining to the front windows though.
also check http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/jkoppees-09-pic-heavy-69950/ for some pics of it tinted

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester FXT 5 Speed Manual
229 Posts
Just tint the fronts. The rears are all already tinted enough. Unless you are scared of a little sun then save your money for something else. What color car do you have by the way?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tint the fronts. The rears are all already tinted enough. Unless you are scared of a little sun then save your money for something else. What color car do you have by the way?
Got Marine Blue Pearl :) First choice was Camelia Red, but I was told there are no red XT autos left anywhere in Oz - all sold out, and I'd have to wait till about late July - mid August for the next batch to arrive. The news came 2 days before the Japan quake hit, so wait times could've been longer.

Yeah, rears seem to be dark enough (although I think tint I had on MY05 was a bit darker), but if I can get a good price would probably do them too - maybe something like 50% or 75%. Not sure about rear quarters and tailgate though...

I assume you did just the fronts? If you don't mind me asking - how much did it cost and what % did you do?

Cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had 5% on the backs of all my cars (only 5% of the light gets through) and on my current car I did 35% on the fronts. My SH also came with the privacy glass but I slapped the 5% on top of it anyway.
Pics look great!!
But 5% is not legal here... What's it like driving at night?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
Pics look great!!
But 5% is not legal here... What's it like driving at night?

Cheers.
5% isn't legal on the back windows, that stinks. Here anything is legal on the back but nothing is legal on the fronts. Driving at night is sooo much better. Here in good 'ol NJ we have plenty of people with their high-beams on or completely misaligned headlights so the tint helps a ton. My visibility is still perfectly fine.

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Got Marine Blue Pearl :) First choice was Camelia Red, but I was told there are no red XT autos left anywhere in Oz - all sold out, and I'd have to wait till about late July - mid August for the next batch to arrive. The news came 2 days before the Japan quake hit, so wait times could've been longer.

Yeah, rears seem to be dark enough (although I think tint I had on MY05 was a bit darker), but if I can get a good price would probably do them too - maybe something like 50% or 75%. Not sure about rear quarters and tailgate though...

I assume you did just the fronts? If you don't mind me asking - how much did it cost and what % did you do?

Cheers.
Congrats on the purchase - you will enjoy it.

WRT tinting - make sure it's legal - the back privacy glass is legal becasue it's from factory but it is darker than aftermarket legal tint. I think the VLT (visible light transmission) is to be no less than 35% for tint in Vic, which makes it tricky to get the same look on the front windows. Best thing is to ensure your tinter can match the colour if not the darkness on the front windows so they look OK.

Normal modern anti UV car glass cuts most UV A and B in any case to less than 5%, privacy glass cuts this a bit more. If you want you can get clear UV screen tint to add onto the inside of privacy glass.

Price - I'm guessing now $150ish for 2 front windows, about $70 ish for moonroof (had mine done to keep out heat)
Try this guy: Car Window Tinting - Bayswater Smart Tint
Bayswater Smart Tint. Small place, careful, can do while-you-wait, top range USA metallised film, great prices. I have had him do my last 3 cars, all equally good and lifetime warranty. You would pay double what he charges at somewhere like Tint-a-car.

·
Registered
my09 Forester XT
294 Posts
From the Vicroads website: "Windows <clip> must have a light transmittance of at least 35%. However it is desirable that the windows to the side and ahead (but not the windscreen) of the driver is not reduced below 70%."

I tinted the front seat side windows to match the privacy glass as closely as possible. Glass it's self blocks a lot of UV so I wasn't worried about that aspect.

Looky

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,503 Posts
I just got the fronts tinted with the darkest legal 3M Black for $110. Doing the rears is just a waste of money IMO as they are still a bit darker than the fronts. It always amazes me how cool my car stays when parked in the hot summer sun.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Premium
8 Posts
I just got a new MY11 Dark Grey XTP and asked the dealer (Docklands Melbourne) to do the darkest legal tint on the front windows. Picked it up and the tint colour is completely different from the privacy tint. The fronts have that smokey green sort of colour compared to the straight black/grey of the privacy glass.

Not happy Jan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Normal modern anti UV car glass cuts most UV A and B in any case to less than 5%, privacy glass cuts this a bit more. If you want you can get clear UV screen tint to add onto the inside of privacy glass.
I tinted the front seat side windows to match the privacy glass as closely as possible. Glass it's self blocks a lot of UV so I wasn't worried about that aspect.
from Subaru website:
- Front windscreen and front door glass - UV Glass
- Rear door, rear quarter and rear windscreen glass - Privacy Glass

I always thought that normal glass itself blocks UV (don't remember what wavelength though), but does darkness affect UV-blocking properties in any way??

What about "heat rejection"? Do metallised tint films really aid in blocking heat?

Looks great! Me - like! :icon_cool:
Is that 35%?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got a quote from Premier Window Tint

They're saying fronts would cost me $100, while full car would be $425.
Sounds like a good deal for the fronts... Has anyone used them before? (they do business in VIC and QLD)

They also said that privacy glass offers no heat rejection, and no UV protection. :icon_rolleyes:

One other thing I'm concerned about is leaving new (just about 200km) turbocharged car with them for 3hrs (that's how long they said they'll need the car for) - I don't want someone to have a joy ride while engine is not even run in yet...
When leaving car with tinters, do you have to sign any waiver forms or something? I'm thinking maybe I could include a clause that car is not to be driven on the road?

·
Registered
2010 XTP
23 Posts
From the Vicroads website: "Windows <clip> must have a light transmittance of at least 35%. However it is desirable that the windows to the side and ahead (but not the windscreen) of the driver is not reduced below 70%."

Looky
Looks nice!! Where'd you get those done? I'm thinking of doing the front also

·
Registered
2009 X
141 Posts
Just got a quote from Premier Window Tint

They're saying fronts would cost me $100, while full car would be $425.
Sounds like a good deal for the fronts... Has anyone used them before? (they do business in VIC and QLD)

They also said that privacy glass offers no heat rejection, and no UV protection. :icon_rolleyes:

One other thing I'm concerned about is leaving new (just about 200km) turbocharged car with them for 3hrs (that's how long they said they'll need the car for) - I don't want someone to have a joy ride while engine is not even run in yet...
When leaving car with tinters, do you have to sign any waiver forms or something? I'm thinking maybe I could include a clause that car is not to be driven on the road?
That's a rip-off.

Plain glass, as has been said, cuts most of the harmful UV.

Your car does NOT need to leave their lot. I would wait while they do it, anyway.

My dealer put the darkest legal tint on all windows. The X has no tint. My wife's XS has privacy glass, which is much darker. My next car will have the privacy glass from factory and I'll get a tint place to match it on the fronts.

The going rate at two places in Berwick is about $300 for all windows.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS
19 Posts
I went to Premier Tint in Brisbane. I had the front set to the darkest legal tint, and the rears had a lighter tint to match. So all windows on my XS match at the darkest legal level. Love it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts