Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X Auto
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 04 Forester X with 108K miles. Subaru dealership had it since 102k miles and did lots of maintenance.

They can't tell me if the Timing belt was replaced or not.

Their records show that Head Gasket, Valve Cover Gaskets, Tuneup, mid & front pipe were done at 102k.

The parts guy who looked in the computer says that usually timing/water pump/pulleys are replaced as part of head/valve cover gasket service. He showed me the $1800 charge for gasket work.

The timing belt is not mentioned anywhere in the service history but he claims that it was probably replaced during 102k gasket service.

What do you guys think ? Is the timing replaced automatically during gasket work ? how can I find out for sure ?

·
Registered
1999 Forester
112 Posts
Almost no doubt that at least the timing belt was replaced. It all has to come off in order to replace the head gasket(s). You could take the inspection cover off (front driver's side of the engine) and have a peek at the belt.

Also check the parts list for the water pump and idler pulleys; there are three of the latter and another one on the t-belt tensioner.

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
170 Posts
Talk to the tech who did it; you would be surprised what we remember!
Bring your car in and show him the paperwork and your car, he/she will remember if it wasn't years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts