Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find anything specific to my request so I'm going to ask the professionals on here. I am currently working on a 2005 forester xt that was brought to me for head gaskets. I am very familiar with these engines but am having a little issue ( might just be me trying to be perfect). I just can't seem to get the timing marks perfect, the crank gear is dead on but the other ones all look a 1/2 tooth off and I don't want to put everything back together and have major issues so I attached the pictures below to see what everyone thinks. I just bought a tool to lock the drivers side in place so I can at least get that side perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
Counting teeth on the belt between the gears would be the first step to check.
Turning through several full rotations by hand to check for resistance would be the next step. Wonder is the AVCS gears were clocked one way or another last time it was shut off.

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the whole thing was brought to me in total pieces including the avcs because the guy wants to port them, but would that cause the marks to not line up? I mean I had tension on the belt the whole time and the marks lined up perfectly then when I cranked it by hand a few times they ended up where they are now and I'm just at a loss

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes but I cant see how because it was me and my father who is a ASE certified tech keeping constant pressure on the belt. Even he is at a loss that's why I ordered the drivers side cam lock tool

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
48 Posts
Wrong timing belt in your kit. It happens. Count the teeth between marks on the belt. Compare that to the FSM for 04 xt ( same as 04 STI )

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I counted teeth on the actual belt and it was 281 which I haven't confirmed that with any manual yet but the tensioner is new and like I said it's just not lining up after we turn it over by hand and I don't know really how to count the teeth between gears because the top passenger side has a lip on it so I can't get an accurate count

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will read that and see if maybe I missed a critical step and let you know

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I read that pdf and I did notice one thing that I never had to do before. It says about turning the belt 90 degrees backwards then 180 forward.I'm assuming that takes the slack out of the belt

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks @2.5x_sleeper after battling with this car and reading that pdf you sent I was able to get the timing to within the specs that the article stated and the car started and the guy is happy. Thanks again to everyone for helping

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,748 Posts

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again thank you! Apparently the bottom marks on the cams don't necessarily line up perfectly and it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts