Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Would you like to see a video tutorial on a timing belt job?

• Doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, in about a week in a half I will be changing my timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt. Not looking forward to this. Will be keeping posted on progress as I may need help. Since I will be buying parts soon, what else do I need besides t-belt, s-belt, tensioner, water pump? Also will be doing a coolant flush as I have 2 gallons of Green stuff ready and 1 bottle of conditioner. Hope I got everything for this service.

Hopefully I can get it done in a day as it is my livelyhood!

Current Mileage

Purchased in September of 2008 @ 70,000 miles

Planned Ownership
250,000+ miles

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
you may want to replace some if not all of the idler pulleys too. consider the oil seals also: camshaft and crank (oil pump).

since you plan on keeping a long time you may also want to remove oil pump, install new o-ring, tighten screws on back of housing and reseal.

but if you're trying to do all in a day and have never done a timing job before that might be pushing it?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Look to replace all your timing belt pulleys (there are 3, two of the same size and one smaller one). ALL of mine were shot on my old engine which had 90,000 miles on it at the time.

You won't know about your camshaft seals until you open up the covers and pull off the sprockets and look. If it's moist or leaking, replace them. If not, LEAVE them alone. Same goes for your oil pump seal.....not leaking, leave it alone. The water pump is easy to change. Re-mounting the timing belt will take some time to line up all the marks on the belt and sprockets.

My #1 advise is to get a SUBARU SHOP MANUAL for this. Forget the Haynes or Chilton manuals, they'll blow up your engine as they don't know really! they're talking about. The Subaru manual is very easy to follow and has a tooth count between marks that will allow you to make 100% sure it's lined up correctly.

Now, to do this, you will need to remove your radiator and fans to get to the front of the engine. Put a piece of cardboard on the A/C condenser so you don't damage/puncture it. The BIGGEST pain the the arse will be camshaft sprockets. These things absolutely suck. I find it easier to loosen the sprockets BEFORE you take off the timing belt. I usually stick a wrench into the flywheel hole (so it lodges itself between the flywheel and engine block) to keep the engine from trying to turn over while I'm breaking the sprockets free. Subaru has special tools for this, which work very well, but will run you $400 to purchase. I ended up having to take my engine (it was out of the car anyway) to the dealer and pay them 1hr labor to pop them free. I got them off the second time with my breaker bar and a long metal pipe I used as an extension, and used clamps to tighten the belt so that the belt wouldn't slip off the pulleys. Good luck.

I think I still have the timing belt PDF's from when I changed my belt, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can dig them up and e-mail them to you.

·
Registered
03 WRX
525 Posts
Look to replace all your timing belt pulleys (there are 3, two of the same size and one smaller one). ALL of mine were shot on my old engine which had 90,000 miles on it at the time.

You won't know about your camshaft seals until you open up the covers and pull off the sprockets and look. If it's moist or leaking, replace them. If not, LEAVE them alone. Same goes for your oil pump seal.....not leaking, leave it alone. The water pump is easy to change. Re-mounting the timing belt will take some time to line up all the marks on the belt and sprockets.

My #1 advise is to get a SUBARU SHOP MANUAL for this. Forget the Haynes or Chilton manuals, they'll blow up your engine as they don't know really! they're talking about. The Subaru manual is very easy to follow and has a tooth count between marks that will allow you to make 100% sure it's lined up correctly.

Now, to do this, you will need to remove your radiator and fans to get to the front of the engine. Put a piece of cardboard on the A/C condenser so you don't damage/puncture it. The BIGGEST pain the the arse will be camshaft sprockets. These things absolutely suck. I find it easier to loosen the sprockets BEFORE you take off the timing belt. I usually stick a wrench into the flywheel hole (so it lodges itself between the flywheel and engine block) to keep the engine from trying to turn over while I'm breaking the sprockets free. Subaru has special tools for this, which work very well, but will run you $400 to purchase. I ended up having to take my engine (it was out of the car anyway) to the dealer and pay them 1hr labor to pop them free. I got them off the second time with my breaker bar and a long metal pipe I used as an extension, and used clamps to tighten the belt so that the belt wouldn't slip off the pulleys. Good luck.

I think I still have the timing belt PDF's from when I changed my belt, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can dig them up and e-mail them to you.
I am sending you my email too ;)

I have alldatapro to access but the more info teh better.. done an NA engine once..

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank for the info so far. I will be taking video of each step as I preform the work. This is for the sake of being on the same page with people when I need help (yes when not if) and I will turn it into a video tutorial for other members.

Cheers.

Hope this job isn't too much of a PITA!

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Awesome, thanks for taking the video I think it will be helpful for alot of us. Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 FORESTER L
117 Posts
The PDF and the video together, you just can't go wrong. The more info the better. Most of us can do simple repairs, tackling a timing belt job would be a great accomplishment. I am going to try and do a DRUM-TO-DISC conversion this weekend.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now do I really have to replace the pulleys? Seems a bit over kill now that I think about it. Seals only get replaced if leaking because I hear cam seals are a major PITA!

But I am doing the water pump.

I still have the factory clutch at 103,000 miles and she still seems good. I though about pulling the motor forward and unbolting it from the tranny after I pulled the radiator for the t-belt job, but that can wait until I start getting slippage.

Oh yeah gonna need a torque wrench and some thread lock. Everything will get thread lock on it as I have heard stories of bolts rattling loose and killing new t-belts.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The PDF and the video together, you just can't go wrong. The more info the better. Most of us can do simple repairs, tackling a timing belt job would be a great accomplishment. I am going to try and do a DRUM-TO-DISC conversion this weekend.
Good luck. I was going to do that but the cost completely out weighed the benefits it seemed. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1 Posts
t-belt

Will you be doing all this on this weekend? I am planning on changing mine soon as well. What year is yours Nick D? I have an 01, does anyone know if there is an difference between years if it is still a 2.5? I have done a timing belt twice before on a pathfinder. It was not too difficult. How is it on a Subaru? I would love to hear anyone's advice or their experiences with this maintenance.

Good luck Nick!

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will you be doing all this on this weekend? I am planning on changing mine soon as well. What year is yours Nick D? I have an 01, does anyone know if there is an difference between years if it is still a 2.5? I have done a timing belt twice before on a pathfinder. It was not too difficult. How is it on a Subaru? I would love to hear anyone's advice or their experiences with this maintenance.

Good luck Nick!
This will get done the weekend of the 27th-28th. Good thing my posse at NES is helping through this. We have a whole Garage meet planned just for this job. I'm actual staying over a NES member's house for the weekend as were are doing this in Boston, Mass (100miles from my residence).

My inventory so far for the garage meet. Still need a few things though.

5 quarts Oil
1 Oil Filter
1 Timing Belt (SOHC)
2 Accessory Belts
1 Water Pump
1 Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis Kit
2 Gallons Green Anitfreeze
1 Bottle Subaru Coolant Conditioner

Man I feel like I'm breaking the bank here!

God damn they want $120 for that hydraulic t-belt tensioner! Still need that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Now do I really have to replace the pulleys? Seems a bit over kill now that I think about it
Id replace the 3 Idler pulley's if one of them seizes up, the belts toast.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts