Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this?

I have a '98 2.5l and I need to replace my timing belt.

I have gotten quotes from shops and they range from $250.00 on up for parts and labor. If I can do it myself with little trouble I would rather do it.

Any experienced replies will help.:)

·
Premium Member
07 x auto
147 Posts
I had mine done by a non dealer mechanic-- same guy who has taken care of the wifes Eclipse for the last 8-9 years. My tensioner tested weak and was also replaced. Whole job was only about $425 parts and labor. Go to a reputable mechanic and have it done--less hassle and work is warrantied.
My .02 worth

·
Registered
377 Posts
Scooby2 said:
Has anyone done this?

I have a '98 2.5l and I need to replace my timing belt.

I have gotten quotes from shops and they range from $250.00 on up for parts and labor. If I can do it myself with little trouble I would rather do it.

Any experienced replies will help.:)
I did timing belts and water pump my 99 Forester 2.5 engine this past year. It was a pretty straightforward job. I did have to work a bit to satisfy myself I had correct belt alignment. I had what seemed like 1/2-notch misalignment. After comparing to old belt, I decided all was OK,...and it was. Car runs great.

I wouldn't attempt w/o some form of Subaru shop manual. Procedures are readily available online or you can purchase a e-manual on ebay, which is what I did. I also read a number of testimonials by guys who had done their own T-belt work and one of those was my best source of info.

Use this URL: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3837&highlight=timing+belt+change

good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies I will be getting the timing belt soon and will be attempting this repair. Will post anything that may be helpful to owners in the future.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are going to do it....I'd recommend replacing the water pump/ thermostat and all the hoses while you have it all opened up .......save yourself some time / money

1 - 7 of 7 Posts