Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
04 forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have 130 k on my '04 Forester. I'm shopping around for a good price. I know I'm a bit overdue, but am I in serious trouble if I don't get it done today, or do I have a little wiggle room? I do 100 miles a day. I don't notice any noise or performance issues, but I'm not a mechanic and don't know what to look for. Ya think I can squeeze a few more k out of it before I start sweating? The $ is an issue right now.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,362 Posts
It sounds like you're aware that the maintenance schedule calls for replacement at 105k miles. This is an important one. You won't notice noise or performance issues. This doesn't degrade gracefully. The only symptom is a broken engine.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The life of the belt really varies, some have had heavy wear even at 60,000 miles. The one on my FXT taken off at 110,000 miles looks very good, the printing is partially worn off but can still be seen in areas. The only way to really know is to pull off the timing belt covers and check it or just replace it. At 130,000 though I woudl definitely get it done ASAP as thats definitely pushing it. If it fails it will be sudden and will generally require at least an engine rebuilt (the pistons and valves will collide requiring new or rebuilt heads, and possibly new pistons if damaged enough).

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
Don't wait, period. Timing belts do not give you a warning. If it pops while you're loafing at 2500 RPMs on the highway, you are toast!

You are so far over the factory-spec'ed interval that it could go anytime now....you've used up your safety margin and are now running on vapors.

Find the place that you trust most and get it done yesterday....period. You'll hate yourself if you break down.

Steve

·
Registered
1998 Forester
593 Posts
While I agree It should be changed ASAP....it could go another 50,000 miles or more without issue. I had a corolla with well over 180K without ever touching the timing belt. As long as he knows the risks of letting it ride (destroyed engine) then maybe for him it's worth the chance he takes.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,586 Posts
Hmmm... a hand full of moola to have the timing belt & associated items changed now or a bucket of moola if the engine has to be replaced with the broken timing belt? :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
I´m fascinated...for germany, the timing belt must be changed after 7 years or 105.000 km (whatever comes first), that are 65.000 miles. Do it quick, do it now.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,586 Posts
I agree with the "age" of the timing belt will add to its deterioration, as much as the total miles. My son's '03X has 28K miles on it now, so we'll talk with our trusted dealership to see if it should be replaced around the 50K miles. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
I don't gamble when it comes to sub-$500- now vs. 1500+ later.......and maybe later means tomorrow? I realize that everyone has their own financial considerations and love (or hate) for riding on the edge.

I'm just a wimp when it comes to taking those chances......

Good luck, no matter what your choice is........

Steve

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
It sounds to me like if can't afford the $1000 bucks now to have it replaced, you really aren't going to be able to afford the $3000+ to have the engine rebuilt later. It's your choice but I'd rather take the cheaper finacial hit now than the more expensive finacial hit later.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,362 Posts
I´m fascinated...for germany, the timing belt must be changed after 7 years or 105.000 km (whatever comes first), that are 65.000 miles. Do it quick, do it now.
It sounds like somebody forgot to do the conversion!

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
I think his point is that the change interval should be the same regardless of the unit of measurement. The change interval should be 170,000 kilometers, if someone did the conversion correctly, not 105,000 kilometers;)

Mark

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
As others' have pointed out above - if the timing belt goes, at best you might wind up with $500-$600 dollar repair on top of everithing; at worst you might have severe damage to the engine, and that means either a different vehicle, or a new engine.

Average TB maintenance/replacment including water pump, and other belts replacement should not run you over $600 dollars US, give or take a $50. This a "ust do" in order to avoid much more dire circumstences in the near future.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Do it now, I waited to 130k on my civic, and my tentioner went bad, this is why I got the new forester, if I would do it over again, I would just change it earlier.

·
Registered
04 forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the whole shooting match done, but it cost me $1,300.00. That was for the belt, tensioners, pulleys, and water pump. That seemed to be the going price at a few places I called. The belt replacement alone was only about $350.00 complete, but they explained that was playing Russian Roulette.
Damn, I hate spending all that loot on something that ain't broke!
Now I have an O2 sensor that needs to be replaced before inspection in June. The mechanic told me that was a $350.00 job.
:(

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
Jokingly, For an EJ25...I say the timing belt interval is the same as the headgasket interval.... :)

Honestly, I couldn't agree more that you are on borrowed time at this point. It might last another 20-30k miles...but it might also snap as soon as you back out of your driveway or take off from a red light.....

Best get it changed ASAP. If you can DIY, it's much-much cheaper, and not that hard on a SOHC motor. I charge $150 for a DOHC timing belt job (+parts).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,717 Posts
Jokingly, For an EJ25...I say the timing belt interval is the same as the headgasket interval.... :) .
Thats why I decided that about 100K miles I'm gonne trade the 08 in. Just can't see putting the $2200+ (HG and Timing Belt) into the vehicle at 5 years+ years and 100K with only an additional 1 year for those two jobs.

The car (hopefully) will be in excellent shape otherwise.

[/hyjack thread]

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
I had the whole shooting match done, but it cost me $1,300.00. That was for the belt, tensioners, pulleys, and water pump. That seemed to be the going price at a few places I called. The belt replacement alone was only about $350.00 complete, but they explained that was playing Russian Roulette.
Damn, I hate spending all that loot on something that ain't broke!
Now I have an O2 sensor that needs to be replaced before inspection in June. The mechanic told me that was a $350.00 job.
:(

$1,300 US Dollars? Not Zmimbabwe or some other fake dollars, right? :huh:
Where in NJ did you go to?

I have a mechanic a few miles away from me which I used to quote me the Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensiometer, Pulleys for $750; I thought that was too much and took it a guy I know in Newark who does it on the side in a shop, and did for cash only at $450 buks.

Dude... which O2 Sensor? Front or rear? Front is little, and keyword "little" tricky with some elbow grease, to get to. Rear O2 sensor is a BREEZE!

Rear O2 Sensor:

1) go to pepBoys, Autozone, NAPA, or your other favorite Autoparts store.
2) buy a rear O2 Sensor - anywhere from 100 to 130 US dollars.
3) If you do not have it yet, get a 10 metric wrench - Someone Correct me on the wrench size please, I am writing from work, same Wrench size that you would use to unscrew the spark plugs I believe.
4) Jack the car up/Put her on stands/raise the car - whichever way you can do it properly and safely. Make sure car is cooled off, you do not want to get your hands burned on the cat.
5) Climb underneath the car - look torwards the middle of the CAT, you should see the O2 Sensor. Trace the wire to the plug... unplug the wire....
6) Thread the wire throught he wrench so you can get to the O2 sensor - use some stuff like WD40 to loosen the sensor first, or some other penetrating stuff... be careful and play with the wrench as you get the sensor loose...
7) Screw in the new sensor, plug the wire back in.
8) throw away an old sensor.
9) Have a beer and pay the bills with the rest of the money you saved.
10) Don't forget to rest the ECM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts