Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my Timing belt replaced along with water pump etc. I saw a price of $1k here, but the local shop said $400 - $600 they could do. And yes they normally do have decent prices so I believe them.

I was wondering though if I brought my car to a Subaru shop, since the engine is so different, would I be able to get it done for cheaper?

What do people recommend in terms of where to bring it. I trust the local shop they do a good job IMO but I know little about cars.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,722 Posts
Some of the price difference you're seeing could be a function of optional work that most of us recommend having done while the engine is opened up to replace the timing belt. Replacing the tensioner and the water pump are common jobs that are much cheaper to do as part of the same procedure, and these are things that could break the timing belt and hence ruin the engine were they to fail. As measured by parts cost alone, the tensioner is probably the most expensive piece of the whole job.

There's a link to a suggested list of stuff to include in the job down near the bottom of my Important Forester info for new members post in the New Member Introductions Forum.

Subaru, the official car of New England! LFOD!

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
My local Subie specialty repair place recommends doing the belt and the tensioner/idler all at the same time and gives a package deal. I had that done on the Wife's Fozzy a few months back. I think it's like $600 for everything.

I asked them about doing the water pump as well but they said they hardly ever fail so recommended against that.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
I asked them about doing the water pump as well but they said they hardly ever fail so recommended against that.
It may not "fail" but...they are known to develop leaks after say 80-100k and you dont really want it pumping all your coolant down onto the road when you are crusing nicely on the highway :)

Seriosuly, if you are doing a timing belt, do the water pump too. It may cost a little extra but that cost is NOTHING compared to the alternative situation and something going wrong....

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
on my girlfrinds 03 forester x
450 labor for belt/wp/tenshinor/t-stat
tenshinor $130
belt $30
w/p $65
miles 130,000

1 - 5 of 5 Posts