Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eye opener. Well not for me. I’m aware of quality parts for TBs. critical that good parts from Japan be used. No Gates. Garbage now. Aisin and OEM Subaru good.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
127 Posts
I replaced internals with an Aisin kit. Otherwise, Gates belts are good quality in my book.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
360 Posts
Working in engineering, hearing people talk about things like bearings is always a little annoying. This video is full of half-truths, but I guess he has generally the right idea to point people in the right direction.

The make of the bearing isn't super important, the specification needs to be correct. Unmarked bearings should be avoided because you can't verify the specification in that case, unless you work for the company that specified it. He really focusses on brand and country, but ignores the most important part - the string of letters/numbers that identifies the bearing size, type, capacity, clearances, seals, grease type, fill, and any other custom specifications. People don't want to have to learn what all that means though, so they'll take and spread the simple but wrong answer instead of the complex and correct answer.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
127 Posts
Can we start the adages now? :D
Me first.

Caveat emptor (buyer beware).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
History and years of experience count for a lot.
If you’ve been doing something and using certain brands and have seen with your own eyes, what one brand or type or even COO shows, then I would say that MrSubaru has good facts and information.

it all boils down to what you choose. You have your own opinion. Based on what? You’re still entitled to your own opinion.

I use only OEM or made in Japan or Germany. Quality stuff, from my own experience. The video also makes it clear to me. I subscribed to that way before there was even YouTube.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
72 Posts
History and years of experience count for a lot.
If you’ve been doing something and using certain brands and have seen with your own eyes, what one brand or type or even COO shows, then I would say that MrSubaru has good facts and information.

it all boils down to what you choose. You have your own opinion. Based on what? You’re still entitled to your own opinion.

I use only OEM or made in Japan or Germany. Quality stuff, from my own experience. The video also makes it clear to me. I subscribed to that way before there was even YouTube.
Ive replaced my share of timing and serpentine belts over the decades and have used Dayco, Gates, Bando, & possibly others. These belts have performed just fine as they are of
OEM quality or better. Wouldnt pay dealer prices for stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s not just the belts. Belts usually live for a while. It’s the other parts that can cause problems. Idlers, pulleys, water pumps, thermostat etc.

I don’t pay dealership prices. I do buy quality parts that aren’t made in China, Taiwan or Mexico. . You get what you pay for. I will never put inferior parts on my car or any car I work on.

I can rest easy knowing that I have good quality parts installed. To each his own.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
72 Posts
It’s not just the belts. Belts usually live for a while. It’s the other parts that can cause problems. Idlers, pulleys, water pumps, thermostat etc.

I don’t pay dealership prices. I do buy quality parts that aren’t made in China, Taiwan or Mexico. . You get what you pay for. I will never put inferior parts on my car or any car I work on.

I can rest easy knowing that I have good quality parts installed. To each his own.
Sorry man, I thought you were just throwing shade on the Gates belts. Were their certain brands of those "other parts" you mentioned, that you had a bad experience, that we should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gates used to be a great company, but then they started outsourcing their products to China in the name of more profit and higher CEO payouts and stock options. They sold out.

They’re belts and hoses are ok but I only use Mitsuboshi TBs, Aisin WPs, and kits or Subaru OEM. The TB work is just too important.

Gates used to be a USA product company. Their kits are junk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The only Aisin branded part in my Aisin timing belt kit was the water pump, the rest of the parts were other brands. Basically, I am trusting Aisin people to select the best parts for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts