Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the symptoms if a timing belt is out by one notch? I would expect rough idling, poor performance etc or is it more subtle than that - has anyone experienced it?

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
I have ! Mine jumped a tooth at the crank while i was adjusting the valve clearances. I had rough idle, a lot of misfire and CEL for camshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
The real problem is if it can jump one, it can jump five more, and game over.....

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
The real problem is if it can jump one, it can jump five more, and game over.....
Agreed,if you suspect this has happened DON'T run it.
Pull the cam cover off and check with the tooth count method to find out for sure. (search for it,it's on here)
If it has jumped a tooth,figure out why (worn belt,bad idler,?)
More than one tooth or so and valves are smacking pistons,VERY bad.

·
Administrator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - thanks for the replies - so it is fairly severe. Mine is OK then. I didn't think about the cam and crank sensors - they would of course be comparing alignment between them all the time wouldn't they.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
OK - thanks for the replies - so it is fairly severe. Mine is OK then. I didn't think about the cam and crank sensors - they would of course be comparing alignment between them all the time wouldn't they.
Only one cam sensor on the,well for you the passenger side of the engine.
If something caused the other side to be off one tooth it might not throw a code but it would run like crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts