Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gentlemen I have 03 forester SOHC. I am doing a TB maintanence replacement. I got the belt on only to find a nick in it so I had to pull it off but I did not have a chance to check alignment by hand cranking. Today I put on a new belt with all belt marks and sprocket dots matched as in my pictures of the original belt and as shown in many threads posted here. They still lined up after releasing the pin on the tensioner, though the lower idler is still off. After hand cranking 8 complete rotations of the belt, there was never and exact match of all the marks again. I observed the crank sprocket and belt and there was no slippage. The closest came on the 3rd when the belt marks where 4 teeth ahead of all sprockets. Doing this I never felt any unusual pressure except during compression. I have turned many engines by hand I am sure that there was no interference.

How many rotations of the belt or crank should occur before the belt timing marks align again?

It is possible in messing with the first belt that the cam sprockets may have turned certainly the drivers side though I started today with them at the belt timing marks on the rear timing belt cover.

Do the cams complete there cycle in a single 360 deg turn or is it some multiple?

If multiple how would you determine where in the cycle they would be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200 or 281 that is crazy. I am a math and physics teacher so it is funny you say that. I was being lazy which is bad because I say that to the kids when they just want the answer.

Oh yes I did note that the cam sprockets seem to be synced I forgot to mention it. That is a load off this has been a long project as I live in the middle of nowhere and lose a week when every I need a part ordered.

I am still curious about the cam cycle.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have confirmed the cams have a 360 cycle so if the one timing mark is lined up they have to be in the correct position and the crank to pulley ratio is 2 to 1.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I have confirmed the cams have a 360 cycle so if the one timing mark is lined up they have to be in the correct position and the crank to pulley ratio is 2 to 1.
Once you get the timing marks to align (or close to it), piston number 1 should be at TDC. You may be able to use an inspection mirror and a light (or a borescope) to look at piston number 1 through the spark-plugt hole. When piston number 1 is at TDC, you should be able to see it though the hole, since it should be right near the spark plug hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts