Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was changing my timing belt and was called out of state and my dad finished the job for me. Well he didn't torque any of the pulleys or the crank shaft to spec. I was wondering what problems this could cause and if I should take it all back apart and redo it to spec?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
912 Posts
@CBGB If that was my situation, I'd want to make sure it was all torqued right.
If a bolt is too loose, it could walk out, causing irreparable damage.

·
Registered
09 forester
230 Posts
@CBGB Retorque. It wouldn't surprise me if he over torqued the idler bolts, when I did my timing belt, I was surprised how low the spec torques felt, I used a digital 3/8th for these. I torqued the crank pulley by angle first then confirmed with a clicker i also reached the correct torque.

If he did the idlers to the German spec of "gutentight" you're probably ok, but I would check each fastener.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Remco I know he used locktite and I'm sure he got them gutentight so I'm more worried about that. But losing a bolt would cause some serious damage. I don't need that. It was the whole reason for the change.

@joe_pinrhill gutentight lol
The crank is what I'm most concerned about. Do you think if it was to tight it could mess with the transmission?

@tedt yeah I'm leaning in that direction.

Thanks for the comments it's appreciated.

·
Registered
09 forester
230 Posts
@CBGB no I don't think an over tightened crank bolt will affect the transmission. However its a bolt the Subaru Factory Service manual dedicates a half page to, so the engineers at Subaru thought it was important to torque to spec. When I torqued my crank bolt when I replaced the TB, I used a new bolt, cleaned the crank threads, applied oil, torqued to 32.5 ft lbs, then turned 55 degrees. Then I verified I had a least 96 ft lbs with the clicking wrench, and thought that was OK. Tightening angle is used on critical fasteners, 55 degrees is 55 degrees and you know you have a set preload on the bolt, friction on the threads doesnt influence an angle.

You can collect the coolant and reuse, you will only need a new stretch belt, and a morning of your time to verify the torques.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts