Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably being paranoid, however as this car seems to have a new problem every month.

I was changing my oil the other day (and replacing the front sway bar end links, bushing ect), and noticed that the timing belt cover is cracked where it gets bolted in. There are now some fairly big gaps in the area. I had the garage replace the timing belt when the headgasket was being replaced. So I'm guessing some careless mechanic overtightened them.

Anyway, just wondering if this is going to cause any issues?

I'm going to order a wheel bearing from Subarugenuineparts.com next month, is it worth getting a new timing belt cover...or should I wait till the next time the timing belt needs replacing.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
The timing belt cover bolts are shouldered, and those that are not, go into a steel sleeved hole. So if they are 'crushed', they probably did not use the original bolts, or could have put the bolts into the wrong holes.

That being said, the risk of letting it like this is very small. I have seen some covers with large chunks missing for quite a few miles and replaced during the next timing belt service.

To replace it, the smaller left ( US drivers side ) is very easy, held by 3 bolts.

The larger right/center section ( US passenger side ) requires you to remove the dampner/crankshaft pulley. While I do this on a regular basis, If you do not, removing the center bolt and re-torquing it to 140 ft lbs can be daunting.

The larger cover is not cheap. Last I purchased one it was about $70 wholesale .... and you also should replace the rubber gasket that mates to the engine front. Also not cheap.

My advise ( remember I can't see nor touch this ) would be let it alone until the next service.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll go Nick's route with the tape, and keep an eye on the situation. Then change it if it get's worse, or when funds become available.

Oh btw the large timing belt cover is $41 at subarugenuineparts.com!

Thanks once again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts