Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2010 Forester with 34000 miles on it. Subaru says to change the timing belt at 105000 miles or 105 months. I removed the belt cover and inspected the belt and it looks good to me . I could read the Subaru label on the belt . Should I change the belt or just keep a eye on it ?

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Considering the amount of miles that you accrue per year, your looking at another 23 years before you need to do the job! Kidding aside, I recently did the timing belt on my 07 at 100K. Under the 105K parameter, but three years past the recommended interval. The belt had no discernible wear visually, but it was a bit stretched compared to the new replacement. However, the belt is just one piece of the puzzle. The idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pump are the more concerning pieces. Belts rarely fail independently of the pulleys/tensioner/water pump seizing. If one of the bearings fail in any of those items they will take the belt with it, and likely most of the top end of the engine. It's doubtful that you are in imminent danger and I'd wager that you could kick the can a bit longer if you want to. But as the saying goes, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"... and it also costs far less.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
I changed my belt on my 2007 FXT with 60k miles a few months ago. It, along with all the pully and tensioners were perfectly fine. All the rubber on this car still seems very pliable...no dry rot with age or anything. If you inspected yours and it's not showing any wear on it I wouldn't be in a rush to change it. However, as mentioned, it's cheap insurance. I paid 300 in labor in addition to the cost of the kit (~250) so for 600ish it was worth the peace of mind even if not really necessary (yet)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
@baldymech

Snow3d covers most of the salient angles.

I did my belt, idlers and water pump on my 2010 at 58k. IMHO it's a false economy not to perform this maintenance because if one of the idlers seizes it will junk the engine, irrespective of belt condition.

Use the opportunity to replace your coolant and thermostat.

Tip - use the Aisin kit and avoid the Gates' kit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts