Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how often you're supposed to replace the timing belt on a 2000 Forester? I seem to have misplaced my manual.
Tx.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,951 Posts
In the US it's every 105k miles. We've seen shorter times quoted in some other national markets.

And, I see that this is your first post, so welcome! Tell us where you live (in your profile), and describe your Forester in your signature so we'll know best how to help. And check out the sticky threads up at the top of the New Member Introductions Forum for more info on this place and on your Forester.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
105K but seems a lot of folks do it at 95-100K --- did mine at 100K

·
Registered
2000 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks. I'll play it safe and do it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I was under the impretion that for earlier models is 60k or something like that. Call you dealer verify with them.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,951 Posts
Per Cars101 it's 105k replace (inspect at 30, 60, and 90) for all years 2000-2010.

Strangely we've seen reports of ~105k kilometers from some German members. Makes us wonder whether somebody forgot to do the conversion there.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
60K vs. 90K

Thanks for the heads-up, snajper69. I called a local Subaru dealership and they 90K. The guy initially guessed 60K but then asked somebody else and was told 90K.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's 105K miles or 105 months (~8 years). A 2000 is over due for change regardless of mileage.

good luck

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
63 Posts
My 2000 Forester has only 36k miles on it. The timing belt has never been changed. Should it be changed based on its' age?

Kevin

PS, It has hardly been driven for several years because of my health, but I want to try to drive again.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
If the condition of the belt can be checked without exessive trouble, have it checked for cracks or other signs of aging. That would be prudent practice and cheaper than, potentially, an engine.

·
Registered
03 XS 5MT
1,566 Posts
My 2000 Forester has only 36k miles on it. The timing belt has never been changed. Should it be changed based on its' age?

Kevin

PS, It has hardly been driven for several years because of my health, but I want to try to drive again.
Wow, 36k miles. That's probably the lowest mile 2000 in the world. Hope your health allows you to start racking those up. :biggrin: I bought mine last May with 44k and I'm already at 89k.

·
Super Moderator
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts

Kevin

I would. Peace of mind is worth it, and the factory service is I believe 105k miles, or 105 months (which is 8.75 years, and you are at least at 12 years right now, if not 13).

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
63 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I will have the belt changed. BTW, after not being started for years, my Forester started with a simple jump, I was sure the engine would be frozen, but it runs fine! Most dependable car I've ever owned.

Kevin

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
63 Posts
change headgasket too?

Just wondering if the headgasket should be changed at the same time as the timing belt, since it is also the original in my 2000 Forester?

Can anyone give me an idea of expected cost on these jobs? Figuring it's pricey..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts