1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

car: 99 Forester w/193k miles

So the car died on the freeway and just shut off. I brought it home and took the timing belt cover off to inspect. Apparently the cogged idler seized and shredded the belt - shown below in pics

So, just for the heck of it, I put a new pulley on it along with a new timing belt. I started up the car and it appears to run fine. Its a tad noisy with a type of clacking sound, however thats not too uncommon for these motors when cold. I don't know if its any louder than normal because its my friends car and I never really paid attention to it.

To confirm no damage, I decided to perform a compression test. I know a leakdown test would be better however I would believe that a very low number would confirm a bent valve not closing. The results are below and the results are 135-145 psi across all 4 cylinders.

What I'm looking for are some opinions or confirmation that the engine is fine prior to installing the new water pump and rest of the pulleys.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PICS of shred belt: (crappy cell phone pic)

PICS of compression test:

Video of engine running with new belt and cogged idler installed:
Notice the "clacking sound"

·
Registered
99 Forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Blown belt and the valves survived? Go buy a lottery ticket while luck is smiling on you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum from a fellow MR2 fan:
Looking good. Are you on MR2oc.com or mr2.com? I am and have the same screen name. BTW, I PM'd you the text to paste on this thread. I'd appreciate it if you could do it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Sorry - just got back from the accountant and it looks like you beat me to it on posting pics.

I'm on MR2OC as WI-MR2. I haven't been on in several weeks, for some reason. Since we love all cars over here (okay, not quite "all"), feel free to post up pics of your MR2 over in The Relatives.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Seems it is a bit noisy, can you line up the timing marks and snap a pic for us.

·
Registered
99 Forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok here are the pics when the cams are straight up:

I do think that the tensioner is shot as it flops around alot. I have a new water pump, tensioner, and idlers that I'm gonna install now. If someone can confirm that the belt is on correctly that would be great. I'm gonna mark it anyway just in case. If you are wondering why I'm pulling the belt off again it was only temporarily installed to see if the motor was bad.

I cant let the motor idle for more than 30 sec due to no radiator installed. I have a new one coming in a few days. Once thats installed I will break out my stethoscope and take a listen to see if the noise continues after the engine has warmed up.

·
Registered
99 Forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. Car is all put back together along with a new radiator and she purrs like a kitten. The new pulleys and hydraulic tensioner quieted things down alot.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester 4sp Automatic
7 Posts
Quite the story.

Does anyone know whether or not this engine is a "clearance" or "non-clearance" engine? If it's a so-called "clearance" engine (valves cannot touch piston faces even when completely out of time), a broken timing belt while driving is not a big deal.

btw - with the given mileage, do you know if this timing belt / tensioner were all original?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Quite the story.

Does anyone know whether or not this engine is a "clearance" or "non-clearance" engine? If it's a so-called "clearance" engine (valves cannot touch piston faces even when completely out of time), a broken timing belt while driving is not a big deal.

btw - with the given mileage, do you know if this timing belt / tensioner were all original?
Its an interference engine, the pistons and valves in 99% of cases collide, just not in this one i guess!

·
Registered
492 Posts
If the belt snaps at the just right point then no harm is done.
Go get yourself into some lottery competition!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,591 Posts
If the belt snaps at the just right point then no harm is done.
Go get yourself into some lottery competition!
True, the timing chain on my 94 Toyota truck failed andeven though the engine is interference it was fine.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The SOHC engines are also a lot less likely to sustain damage than the DOHC ones.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
The SOHC engines are also a lot less likely to sustain damage than the DOHC ones.
Educate me please: Is this because the intake and exhaust valves are not controlled by a common camshaft on the DOHC engine and can get out of sync when the belt breaks, leading to intake and exhaust valves butting heads in the cylinder?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
That's an amazing story! Do count yourself fortunate.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Educate me please: Is this because the intake and exhaust valves are not controlled by a common camshaft on the DOHC engine and can get out of sync when the belt breaks, leading to intake and exhaust valves butting heads in the cylinder?

I would like the thinking on this as well.

thks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts