Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

:Banane37: Just got myself a 2001 Forester L with 144k on the clock. As a rule of thumb i always do an oil change, plug change and swap out the spark plugs on used cars like this just to sort of start fresh so to speak. The car had a check engine light, needed tires and a/c. I ended up getting a sealer kit and its been holding the a/c ice cold for the past 4 days so im pretty happy about that. As for the CEL, it ended up being the front 02 sensor and the knock sensor which since i swapped out have turned the CEL off. Also i snagged some nice floor mats and restored the headlights from a hazy yellow to pretty much new.

So now that everything is peachy and i can pass MD inspection, i was wondering if i should take the plunge and just get the timing belt done? At what intervals do they get changed on these cars? Thanks in advance guys! i love this car already!! :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,501 Posts
So now that everything is peachy and i can pass MD inspection, i was wondering if i should take the plunge and just get the timing belt done? At what intervals do they get changed on these cars? Thanks in advance guys! i love this car already!! :icon_biggrin:
Required interval is 105K miles. If you have 144K miles you are waaaaayyy overdue.. Also change WP, seals, and idler. Also check HG for leaks. Pre 2003 non turbo's are almost guaranteed to have a hg leak.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Required interval is 105K miles. If you have 144K miles you are waaaaayyy overdue.. Also change WP, seals, and idler. Also check HG for leaks. Pre 2003 non turbo's are almost guaranteed to have a hg leak.
Cool very good to know. I gotta check if someone did it or not. I dont really have a real way of finding out if it was done or not. I would deff do the water pump, seals and idler with it cause i need this car to last. Guess my next venture is going to be timing belt.

Anyone do it themselves? The vids on youtube and pics in the manual make it seem doable. :shrug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts