Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the stockers. Not sure what to get. Looking for a nice all season tire. Here are some things I came up with but am open to suggestions. I am running 08 stock FSXT wheels on swift springs w/ soon to be installed KYB GR2's.

Size - Stock 215/55-17 or
225/55/17

Brands - Hankook Ventus HRII H405 or Ventus V4 ES H105
Falken Ziex ZE-912 or ZE-512 or ZE-329

If I go wider will I have any rubbing issues? What are the positives & negatives to going wider? Would I have to worry about anything under a full load w/ a wider tire? Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
I put Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rated tires on my 2006 XT, 16 inch rims were standard.

I went smaller, 205/HR60-16, instead of 215/HR60/16.
They handle better because of the lighter weight and shorter sidewall.

Lots of large rim/short sidewall tires are wider, and heavier.
A shorter sidewall will help handling, just going wider usually does not help.
The heavier weight will hurt handling, and 0-60 times.
A wider tread can help on hot dry road traction, and will hurt everywhere else.
You can compensate for the weight penalty of a larger tire by having lighter and very expensive rims, like BBS.

A narrower tread is quieter, more fuel efficient, and better in snow and wet.

My 2006 XT now sits 1/4 inch lower than a stock 2006, but is still 1/4 inch higher than the 2005.
The tread is 1/2 inch narrower, so I get an extra 1/4 inch clearance all around, enough for cable chains.

I would go with the 215's if I had 17 inch rims, and lived in a wet or cold area.
The 215/55 has less weight and a shorter sidewall than a 225/55.
A 225/50 will be shorter than a 215/55.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Time to replace the stockers. Not sure what to get. Looking for a nice all season tire. Here are some things I came up with but am open to suggestions.

Brands - Hankook Ventus HRII H405 or Ventus V4 ES H105
Falken Ziex ZE-912 or ZE-512 or ZE-329
The Michelin MXV4 is a top-rated all-season tire. Yokohama's new ENVigor gas garnered very good early reviews. Here are links to some of my previous posts on these tires:

The Falken ZE-912 (w/ H speed rating) came in second to the MXV4 is Consumer Reports ratings of performance all season tires, with low ratings for snow traction, ice braking, rolling resistance, and tread life. Here's "CR's Take":

An excellent choice for drivers who value dry and wet grip and handling, but where tread life and winter grip are not a priority.

The ZE-512 (w/ H speed rating) ended up in the middle of the same ratings group, with low ratings for snow traction, ice braking, and tread life. Here's "CR's Take":

A very good choice for drivers who value dry and wet grip and handling, but where tread life and winter grip are not a priority.

The Falken ZE-912 (w/ W speed rating) scored the top rating in Consumer Reports ratings of ultra high performance all season tires, but with low ratings for snow traction and tread life. Here's "CR's Take":

A top rated choice among all season ultra performance tires.

The Hankook 105 and 418 tires tested both fared rather poorly in CR's tests. The Hankook 727 earned third place and a "Recommended" rating in CR's test of all season tires. The following general comment from CR suggests to me that their ratings are relative within a category and not absolute:

Scores and ratings are held to a comparative standard within a tire category.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, What do you think about Toyo's specifically the extensa hp or the Proxes 4. So then I shouldn't go from a 215 to a 225? I don't think I want to go to a 50 from a 55 as I think it would make the wheel gap look bigger.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
With stock wheels I would recommend going to 225/50. You won't have any fitment issues, and the tire diameter is only 10mm less than stock. On Swifts this looks very good. The speedo error also won't be too large.
225/55 will fit but it's 12mm taller than stock - it will fill the wheel well even more, but has less of a sporty look. I use that size with my winter tires.

When you go wider, you put more of the tire in contact with the ground. The tradeoffs, in a general sense, are that you improve handling and steering feel at the expense of ride comfort and (potentially) gas mileage. That said, going from 215 to 225 is not a very big change - the model of tire you switch to is likely going to have a lot more of an effect on your driving experience than the switch to a 225 width.

Last point - I have the ZE-912s. Overall I like them, but with 15K miles on them they have become quite loud on the freeway. If I had to buy again I would likely get something else.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
For some reason I can't post the link, but if you go to TireRack and go under Video Center and then to the winter/now tire section, there is a new video on UHP all season tires.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I like the extremecontact DWS. Very good year round grip. Probably my favorite all season tire ever made, especially if you're going to be driving in snow (aside from on ice, they're nearly as good as a winter tire).

For a less performance oriented tire that still grips well and performs well, I like the general altimax HP. A few friends are running them and they are a great all around tire. Also for the money they can't be beat.

IMO the falken 912's are absolute garbage, will never buy them again. Their only strong point is that they're decent in the rain, but otherwise they're just not very good (have them in 225/50 now). They feel like cheap factory fit tires.

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you go wider, you put more of the tire in contact with the ground. The tradeoffs, in a general sense, are that you improve handling and steering feel at the expense of ride comfort and (potentially) gas mileage. That said, going from 215 to 225 is not a very big change - the model of tire you switch to is likely going to have a lot more of an effect on your driving experience than the switch to a 225 width.
So moving to a 225 tire will be less comfortable? Can you recommend a tire based on your statement of the model selected would have a bigger effect than switching to a 225 width?

Thanks funkymonkey1002, I will look into the extremecontact DWS & the general altimax HP.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
So moving to a 225 tire will be less comfortable?
Barely. If you go to a 225/50 you will have less sidewall than the stock 215/55, but not THAT much less. The less sidewall you have, the more the suspension (instead of the tire) has to work to absorb bumps and whatnot. So with something lower-profile, it does get rougher. But if you're still at a 50 series you'll be fine.
Can you recommend a tire based on your statement of the model selected would have a bigger effect than switching to a 225 width?
Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with the various tires available right now to make a recommendation but I think there are a slew of threads on the subject. :smile:

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
according to Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing there's only a 1.75% difference when going to a 225/50/17 vs a 215/55/17. Tire sizes don't work off straight numbers, I don't remember the specifics of the sizing but the second number is a ratio not a straight measurement so the wider you go the lower in the second number you can go and stay the same. For instance the 215/55/17 is almost identical in diameter to the 235/50/17 just wider. You may not want to go that wide but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I order a set of BFG Traction T/A's in 225/55/17 for my FXT. Our 2010 forester with the same exact wheels has 225/55/17's and since my speedo was slightly off with 215/55/17's this should cure my problem.
Thanks, is your speedo off with the 225/55's on the fxt?

Using the tire size calculator I notice that going to a 225/50/17 it will be almost 1" smaller diameter. I would think this would make the wheel well look to big again.

I think I'm leaning toward the 225/55-17.

But I still haven't decided on the rubber!

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Thanks, is your speedo off with the 225/55's on the fxt?

Using the tire size calculator I notice that going to a 225/50/17 it will be almost 1" smaller diameter. I would think this would make the wheel well look to big again.

I think I'm leaning toward the 225/55-17.

But I still haven't decided on the rubber!
Here is a 215/55/17 Extremecontact DWS with swift springs

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks jrsnot, it does fill the wheel well nicely.

With stock wheels I would recommend going to 225/50. You won't have any fitment issues, and the tire diameter is only 10mm less than stock. On Swifts this looks very good. The speedo error also won't be too large. 225/55 will fit but it's 12mm taller than stock - it will fill the wheel well even more, but has less of a sporty look. I use that size with my winter tires.
Smooth you right does look less sporty.

I wonder how the 55's would look with a sportier all season tread pattern such as the toyo extensa hp.

Anyone have a similar pic with the 50's?

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Thanks jrsnot, it does fill the wheel well nicely.

Smooth you right does look less sporty.

I wonder how the 55's would look with a sportier all season tread pattern such as the toyo extensa hp.

Anyone have a similar pic with the 50's?
Less sporty? Really? I take that as an insult, less sporty. HA

Unless your drop is lower, a smaller tire will give you more gap between the tire and the wheels well, unless you go much wider.

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Less sporty? Really? I take that as an insult, less sporty. HA

Unless your drop is lower, a smaller tire will give you more gap between the tire and the wheels well, unless you go much wider.

Not meant as an insult. That looks better much better. Maybe it was the angle & the up close shot. I actually like that a lot. After seeing that, 90% sure I'm stickin with a 55's now to decide 225's or 215's.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Not meant as an insult. That looks better much better. Maybe it was the angle & the up close shot. I actually like that a lot. After seeing that, 90% sure I'm stickin with a 55's now to decide 225's or 215's.
No worries man, I was just busting your chops. I actually wanted 225/50/17, but they were backordered because of the favorable reviews the tires got from Consumer reports and the UHP all season tirerack test. I mostly use the tires for commuting and the size difference was not big enough to wait another three weeks. I wanted my new wheels now. I am such a kid I WANTED THEM NOW! Ha Ha.

For sizes, check the tire manufacturer, they only make certain sizes and widths, I could not get a 225/55/17 at all in the DWS only 225/50/17 or 215/55/17.

Hope this helps.

JR

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries man, I was just busting your chops. I actually wanted 225/50/17, but they were backordered because of the favorable reviews the tires got from Consumer reports and the UHP all season tirerack test. I mostly use the tires for commuting and the size difference was not big enough to wait another three weeks. I wanted my new wheels now. I am such a kid I WANTED THEM NOW! Ha Ha.

For sizes, check the tire manufacturer, they only make certain sizes and widths, I could not get a 225/55/17 at all in the DWS only 225/50/17 or 215/55/17.

Hope this helps.

JR
Yeah I'm finding that out. I also am just using this for commuting but since I have to buy new ones I am trying to squeeze a little more performance out of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts