Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my 2001 Forester's engine blew. Im debating whether or not i should bother putting in a new engine or just parting it out. Ive never done an engine swap on a subaru before and im looking for some suggestions, what motor should i look for? im looking for something reasonably priced but if there's something super badass i might just have to go for it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
So today my 2001 Forester's engine blew. Im debating whether or not i should bother putting in a new engine or just parting it out. Ive never done an engine swap on a subaru before and im looking for some suggestions, what motor should i look for? im looking for something reasonably priced but if there's something super badass i might just have to go for it.
What happened to you engine BTW? I know a guy who had his oil pump fail on his (I think) '98 legacy or something like that. He was on the highway going home and the car just started slowing down like he hit the brakes

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was driving down the freeway and all of the sudden it started to overheat. then i heard it make this loud clacking noise, like i spun a rod or something. I had it towed to a nearby shop and now im awaiting the damage report.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
62 Posts
I just had mine go a couple months ago. I have the 2.5 turbo and it is still in the shop. They have had a lot of trouble getting the parts they need. Mine went from a lose bearing they said. Best of luck with the repairs, hopefully it doesn't take as long for yours!

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Any 2.5 sohc up to 2004 will pretty much drop right in.
I put a 2004 in my 2001 and only needed to use my intake manifold from the old motor.

Very easy to change,did the whole thing myself with help and advice from here on the forum.

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had mine go a couple months ago. I have the 2.5 turbo and it is still in the shop. They have had a lot of trouble getting the parts they need. Mine went from a lose bearing they said. Best of luck with the repairs, hopefully it doesn't take as long for yours!
thanks! yeah ive already started searching for a new motor. i hope it doesnt take more than a few weeks to sort this out.

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any 2.5 sohc up to 2004 will pretty much drop right in.
I put a 2004 in my 2001 and only needed to use my intake manifold from the old motor.

Very easy to change,did the whole thing myself with help and advice from here on the forum.
Good to know! thanks!

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
Been there....done that!!!!I rebuilt mine myself. All I see are 99, 00 and 01 Subaru's dying here and there.:huh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts