Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I've run into a problem, my engine has a ticking noise, i had it checked out by the subie guy here in RVA, he said the only way to fix it was to replace the engine, or sell the car as is (I am already in the process of selling it). I have another vehicle and the forester is completely paid off.

So, here are my options, do I sell the vehicle? or do i replace the engine? He estimated to cost around $1500 and instead of putting an 'X' engine in it, could i put in an STI, or XT engine in? or is it not worth the money?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,750 Posts
<snip>my engine has a ticking noise, i had it checked out by the subie guy here in RVA, he said the only way to fix it was to replace the engine, or sell the car as is. So, here are my options, do I sell the vehicle? or do i replace the engine? He estimated to cost around $1500 and instead of putting an 'X' engine in it, could i put in an STI, or XT engine in? or is it not worth the money?
Regarding the ticking noise, did you consider a used oil analysis? There are some odd things on Subarus that tick (e.g. fuel line dampers, valves) besides the rods and main bearings. Some of these 'ticks' are quite fixable.

Assuming it's the connecting rods, then as for repairing the engine, you're looking at a short-block plus head rebuilds. At that point you have a new engine. All things considered, it would be better to do this now, rather than wait until the internal ticking got too serious (and fills the engine with metal particles ;-).

If you put in a new engine, try to find an exact or at least a close replacement - don't create a 'freak' car. If you really want an XT, sell your X and buy an XT. While it's possible to swap n/a and turbo engines, remember you may need to swap the ECU, plus there are other small details that may come to haunt you. So, if you want an XT, buy an XT.

If you're doing all the work yourself, you might reach a different conclusion, but from what you wrote it would appear that you want a garage to do the work.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
You're going to sell it, so just sell it and move on with life.

Use your time / minor amount of money to detail the car so it looks as good as it can.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he said that it's run low on oil once or maybe a couple of times, would the valve still need adjusting?

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is no way to "adjust" valves on these cars. Which is actually a good thing for the most part. Its a simpler design using bucket shims.

If the oil was low enough it could possibly wear enough of the cam lobe on the bucket. But even if that were the case it would only mean the valves in the motor are not opening completely by .00X" (a small amount).

All of the 5 Subarus I've owned had a loud valve train with 100k difference in miles.

I wouldn't feel sketchy selling it to anyone if it runs good still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts