Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I have an 03 XS MT with 210 000 km and on monday I started to get a slight shudder/thumping from the rear passenger side when making tight left turns. It seems to do it sporadically under load and not under load. And today its starting to do it while driving straight, lightly accelerating from a stop. Its getting so bad its starting to shake the whole car.

On monday night I put it up on the hoist and checked the rear suspension out hope to find something obvious but no luck. Suspension is all tight, no fluids leaking, no damaged axles/boots. The only thing I can think of is maybe one of CV axles are seizing. Or maybe torque binding. But since its now doing it in a straight line I'm starting to rule that out.

All my tires are at the same tread depth and pressure. I put new winter tires on last fall.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the problem. The front U-joint on my center drive shaft/propeller shaft was shot. I think that the small amount of play was causing the center bearing to knock around. So I bought a used drive shaft and its all good now. Probably could have got the other one rebuilt but i don't have time for that. way easier to just replace it and move on.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Good to hear that you got it sorted... and thanks for the update on this thread!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Thanks for coming back and telling us what fixed it. It always helps for people searching and trying to diagnose their own problems.

+1 Awesome points for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts