Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear some feedback from anyone who has one of these:
Easyline 3-1/2' x 5' Galvanized Trailer Kit with Torsion Axle and Tilt Bed Thule Trailers TP150
I know the foldable trailer from Harbor Freight is real popular on here and it's less expensive, but my uses for a trailer would require a full side kit more times than not. I can see myself using it for things like mulch and stone and similar jobs. Anyhow, I really like the looks and design of the Thule. Anyone have experience with one? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
I would not buy it with those lame hubs and wheels with a 4 x 4" bolt pattern.
I would demand a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. Your tire choices will be greater.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
You already may know this but after spending something like 20-30 million dollars aquiring two trailer manufacturing companies in the US. Thule has suspended trailer operations in North America. :icon_frown::shake: They never got their act together with firmly establishing dealers or even simply establishing the North American web page that supported the dealers that did choose to carry their products. Even their international web page never carried any North American contact info(??)This came from a former dealer near me. Although he carried a good portion of their line, most of his business was based on drive-by's and referals.

Replacement parts will be fairly common and interchangeable from other manufacturers. I only wish I had bought one. It's most likey someone will continue building trailers like this.

The 1150S for our market (which is similar to the Easy-Line) had the 13" tires and I wanted the clamshell top option Products

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Something like this might be an alternative if you can't find the Thule:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait...so are you guys saying I might not be able to find the Thule? Etrailers.com has them on their sight. I'm confused.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I wouldnt buy a trailer that small, Id go with a 4x8 model then you could use it to haul plywood and such along with almost twice the capacity of mulch..

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldnt buy a trailer that small, Id go with a 4x8 model then you could use it to haul plywood and such along with almost twice the capacity of mulch..
I thought about that, but if I were to get a big one, I'd have to get a foldable one to store it in my garage. I need it to have sides, but I can't fold it with a side-kit on it, so it would be a very cumbersome process. I don't want something that requires 20 minutes of assembly everytime I use it.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
After searching for a dealer I contacted Thule and received a reply about them suspending manufacturing in North America. After corresponding with a few dealers that had carried them in the past and talking with the local dealer the general consensus as mentioned was Thule did a poor job at promoting the dealers that where carrying them. They had purchased a plant in Maine and I believe New York. Here's another site with the same response I got New Thule Trailer - Page 3

Most likely e-trailer has bought up the liquidation inventory. You may want to read the reviews. Looks like the trailers have a top speed limit :huh: anything over 55 and loaded is not recomended.

Sno-Pro and Cargo-Pro trailers are still being built at the Maine factory (those products had been rebranded as Thule previously). I'll bet they are not allowed to produce the original Thule trailers that are seen on the Thule website and were available previously.

·
Registered
2009 ForesterX/07Outback
66 Posts
I would actually take a look at the Stirling trailers. They are galvanized steel, front and backs fold down and look extremely well built.

I just sold my ten-year-old 4x8 kit trailer this weekend and picked up a 5x10 Stirling.

Stirling makes models like the current little Thule trailer (including one with a sport cap like the original Thule trailers from about 10 years ago), from 4x5 up to 5x10 models:

http://www.stirlingpowerproducts.com/models.html

You are only about two hours from the dealer where I picked up my Stirling from. He has both the 5x7 and 5x10 models in stock on sale right now. If you wanted the small one I don't know if he can order a single one or not.

http://www.hillwoodsales.com/category/trailers/sterling-trailers/

Here's my new trailer. After I shot this I mounted 10' pressure treated 2x4's on the side rails both as protection and for a little more height. If I could have found longer lag bolts at Home Depot I would have used 2x8's. The sides without any buildup are 15" high, but are sturdy enough you could build them up higher with plywood if you wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
Subaru owners could buy a larger SUV for the same price.
There are many reasons we do not, including ease of parking, smaller turning circle, and taking up less space in the garage.
The same logic applies to our trailers, just getting the size we need, not larger.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
5x10 was $1199. He also has 5x7's at $999.
I'm sure it's well made and worth it, but that's about twice what I'm looking to spend. I don't live on a farm or have a ton of on-going projects. I need something that I can store in my garage (and still get both cars in) and it will probably only get used about 2 - 3 times a year. I've seen some nice options for under $500 but I need to be sure they're long enough. One of the things I will use it for is to get mulch. The local landscaping yards use tractors and frontloaders with small buckets to load you up. My trailer needs to be at least as long as the loader bucket is wide. I'm not sure if 5' will be enough. :icon_confused: What would be perfect is a 6' long trailer with a folding tounge so I could stand it up on end in my garage. I've never seen one like that.

·
Registered
2009 ForesterX/07Outback
66 Posts
I'm sure it's well made and worth it, but that's about twice what I'm looking to spend. I don't live on a farm or have a ton of on-going projects. I need something that I can store in my garage (and still get both cars in) and it will probably only get used about 2 - 3 times a year. I've seen some nice options for under $500 but I need to be sure they're long enough. One of the things I will use it for is to get mulch. The local landscaping yards use tractors and frontloaders with small buckets to load you up. My trailer needs to be at least as long as the loader bucket is wide. I'm not sure if 5' will be enough. :icon_confused: What would be perfect is a 6' long trailer with a folding tounge so I could stand it up on end in my garage. I've never seen one like that.
If you want to keep it under $500, you are probably going to be limited to the 4x8 kit trailers from Northern Tool/Harbor Freight/RedTrailer.com. They all vary slightly in design, but all work fine and have folding tongues and can be stood upright to store in a garage. Build the kit, get a sheet of 3/4" plywood and build up the sides to your needs and they work pretty well. The one I just sold over the weekend had 30" sides and could handle a full load of mulch from the bucket loader. If you are planning on using it loaded, I would probably go for the Harbor Freight one with the 1750lb limit. Mine was a Northern Tool version that was rated at 1200lbs and with a full load of wet mulch I could tell I was probably over the limit of what the axle should be carrying, but it held up well to ten years of use. If you just need it for errands and are not going to load it down, the cheaper, lighter capacity versions are fine.

Check out the tail end of one of the other treads for someone who just built the HF version:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f137/utility-trailers-foresters-21351/index6.html

1195 Lb. Capacity 48" x 96" Heavy Duty Foldable Utility Trailer with 12" Wheels

1720 Lb. Capacity Super Duty 48" x 96" Utility Trailer with 12" Five Lug Wheels and Tires

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
apscott, thanks for the information! The one from Harbor Freight with the solid (non-folding) body might work as long as I can fold the toung like the other guy did. I need to see two things:

1. When I get home I need to be sure I have at least 8' height in my garage. Pretty sure it's at least 9'.

2. I would need to be able to leave a side kit on it while it's standing on end. I don't want to have to put it on and take it off all the time.

I wonder how involved it is to build a side kit.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
379 Posts
I had a Thule TP125 for a year or two, it was a great little trailer. Hauled a lot of loads of gravel with it and the dump bed made it easy to unload. Since it was galvanized it never rusted.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a Thule TP125 for a year or two, it was a great little trailer. Hauled a lot of loads of gravel with it and the dump bed made it easy to unload. Since it was galvanized it never rusted.
Great to hear...thanks! One question: When you would go get the gravel, how would they load you? Did they dump it in with a loader bucket or did you hand-shovel it in? The reason I ask is I'm not sure if 5' is long enough. If the loader bucket is 5' or 6' wide, I'm not sure that would work. How did you do it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts