Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Thule Aeroblade bars that came off my 2013 Forester and a set of the Subaru Aero cross bar ($199 option) that came with the Forester. I want to sell one, which one should I sell off? Which set looks better? Which has better function? The Subaru crossbars seem more sleek when installed compared to the aero blades, but the aero blades are lockable. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2009 FXT TTT 5MT
258 Posts
I agree. I love the aero bars; they really suit the rails but not being able to lock them is always at the back of my mind.

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are two factory cross rail options for the 14' forester right? One set that's $199 , and another set that's a bit more. What are the differences between the two?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Tour Automatic
8 Posts
I'm planning on carrying surfboards with the Thule double decker surfboard carrier 809. It looks like you can cut the straps on the Thule carrier with a bolt cutter.. So I'm thinking if a thief has a torque wrench to take off factory Subaru aero bars, then he probably has bolt cutters to cut my Thule carrier straps. In other words if i get locking Thule cross bars, my straps can still be cut!

I guess I have to decide just how paranoid I am.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0 auto
3 Posts
my .02. I have the Subaru aero bars on 14 Forester. I mounted a Thule sidearm bike rack up there and although it's not going anywhere, the Subaru cross bars bars do flex a little more than I like. I had the thule aero bars on another car and there's no flex in them. In the short term I'll live with it but will probably buy the Thule's at some point.

·
Registered
2015 XT CVT
34 Posts
There are two factory cross rail options for the 14' forester right? One set that's $199 , and another set that's a bit more. What are the differences between the two?
I see you posted a while ago, the set that costs more is for a Subaru without side rails. So it's cross bars with feet.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited CVT
33 Posts
I have the Aeroblade on my Forester, they're nice because if you plan on tying or mounting other things onto the rack you get more bar width since it overhands the edges of the roof-rails. The overhang is also nice for pulling yourself up with reaching over the roof. The only downfall that I see is that that feet make the whole system very tall. Feet + Aeroblade + Pull Bars = about 6 inches of added height. Since the new Forester is taller than previous gens it is pretty tall.

There are two issues related to this:
1: It makes the Subaru very tall and may not fit in some parking garages
2: I'm 5'4, and it makes it difficult to pull down the pullbars once I have the skis back over the roof of the car. I have a step stool I'll bring with me.

I haven't seen much difference in MPG, still getting around 22 mpg. Without the pullbars on I was getting around 24-5.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XS 5MT
143 Posts
Another vote for Aeroblades. I have both the Aeroblades and the factory bars. I've seen some third party load tests on the Aeroblades where they are putting 700+ lbs on them before they fail.

I use mine for carrying bikes and whatever I toss in the roof box. I flush mount Thule Echelon bike carriers via the T-Nut channels. Look super clean. I don't have any carriers that will work with the factory bars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts