Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XTL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a set of Thule 450R feet and aerobar crossbars for my 2010 XT. I'm getting pretty bad whistling, which I have identified as coming from the feet, not the bars. Does anyone have these installed in a position where they don't whistle? I've only tried them in two different positions, with no noticeable improvements noted. I'd rather not use a fairing, if I can avoid it.

I've attached a picture showing the first location I had them...I have since moved the front bars to a position directly above the rear end of the sunroof opening.

CIMG0055.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well my best advice is to let the fairing do its job by redirecting air over the feet instead of colliding with it....thats where the noise comes from. Anything introduced into the windstream will have negative affect which in this case is drag and noise.

·
Oilfield Trash
2009 X AT
680 Posts
I very recently installed 450R's, Aero bars and a Load Warrior on my 2009 NA and as soon as I installed everything I left Houston for South Texas so on the way I did some "testing" (fairing up, down and removed).
The Yakima fairing DEFINETLY helps with mileage AND noise (I have the Moonroof air deflector also) but yes 450R's whistle, if you find a solution post it here for the rest of us.

Unclviny

·
Registered
2010 XTL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Yakima fairing DEFINETLY helps with mileage AND noise
Do you have any pictures of your setup? Do you get any whistling noise with the faring? It seems that the bars themselves don't make much nose, but the feet are ridiculous.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
1 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your setup? Do you get any whistling noise with the faring? It seems that the bars themselves don't make much nose, but the feet are ridiculous.
Did you ever pick up a fairing? I'm curious to know how the fairing would play with the moonroof considering it would be sitting right on the glass.

Anyone have a fairing setup with their Thule 450R + aero bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts