Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Forester XT with 5MT. Just about 2 weeks ago a chirping began when I would have my clutch engaged/out in gear or in neutral. My experience tells me the throw out bearing is going or gone. My XT has only 50640 miles on it. Other than the chirping, there is no difference in function. The car pulls great. No clutch malfunction/slipping.

I took my XT to the local Subaru Dealer where I purchased and their diagnosis is that it needs a new throw out bearing. FYI they said they are self-lubricating. Since I have low mileage, the dealer agreed to cover 50% of whatever the total charge is. Initial quote is a total of about $1000. They would like me to have it done soon.

It's been a couple of days since going to the dealer and the chirping is still occurring, but it is quieter.

Questions:

1. Anyone else have such a problem at such low mileage?
2. Is Subaru's deal at 50% their fee a good deal?
3. Should I just live with it and see what happens?
4. If I have them do it, should I suggest they replace the clutch and pressure plate at the same time and see if they'll cover 50% of that also?
5. Any other applicable experience or educated opinions to share?!

Many thanks for your time and consideration!!!

·
Registered
06 Forester XT 5MT
65 Posts
Not sure if yours is the same as my '06, but if it is, your probably going to want to install the tranquil sleeve kit. I can't say whether or not the quill is your problem, but if your going to be replacing the throwout bearing you definitely want to replace it with the sleeve kit.

PDM USA Tranquil Transmission Sleeve Kits

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if yours is the same as my '06, but if it is, your probably going to want to install the tranquil sleeve kit. I can't say whether or not the quill is your problem, but if your going to be replacing the throwout bearing you definitely want to replace it with the sleeve kit.

PDM USA Tranquil Transmission Sleeve Kits

Thanks for this....looks like a good addition.

I'll inquire if Subaru will install....I suspect that being a non OEM part they may object....Oh well....no warranty to void anyway!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
at 150,000 miles i put a new clutch in with a aftermarket throw out bearing and it churped; I suspect it if failing now at 217,000. The sleeve is a great idea, but only if you have excessive wear on that area. at 200K i think I will do it (I need to split the trans anyway to reseal it) but if the car has had normal wear and the throwout bearing has never spun on the shaft I would save the 150.00

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XS 5MT
143 Posts
My 08 WRX had to have the throwout bearing replaced around 50k miles because it was squeaking. My dealer did the repair under warranty (gotta love that CPO 100k mile powertrain warranty!).

G

·
I just got a clutch job done and it immediately started squeaking. It would stop when I barely touched the clutch pedal. The shop told me to come back if it was still squeaking in 2K miles or so, they said it was probably the part "breaking in".

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2008 XT is at the dealer getting its new throw out bearing....hopefully all else is in good order....only 50931 miles on it as of drop-off....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So....the dealer replaced the throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel, etc....all parts in the Subaru "kit." As my XT has such low miles, they charged me only $519.60.

Driving right so far....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts