Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody point me in the direction of a cable-operated throttle body which will directly fit onto the manifold of an '04 EJ255, in place of the electronically-operated throttle assembly?

·
Registered
2004 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty simple, really. The engine is going into a different car. When I bought the XT (as salvage- it's pretty thoroughly totaled) I'd originally planned on swapping the OEM ECU over with the motor, but now that I've had a chance to look over all of the electronics involved with it, I've decided to ditch the OEM ECU and convert to an aftermarket unit. This obviously requires the use of a conventional cable-operated throttle plate.

I'm really hoping that they kept the bolt pattern and other accoutrements the same, and that I can grab the TB off of an older Soob and connect it to this manifold. It won't be the end of the world if I have to fabricate an adapter, but simple is always good if you can get away with it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Pretty simple, really. The engine is going into a different car. When I bought the XT (as salvage- it's pretty thoroughly totaled) I'd originally planned on swapping the OEM ECU over with the motor, but now that I've had a chance to look over all of the electronics involved with it, I've decided to ditch the OEM ECU and convert to an aftermarket unit. This obviously requires the use of a conventional cable-operated throttle plate.

I'm really hoping that they kept the bolt pattern and other accoutrements the same, and that I can grab the TB off of an older Soob and connect it to this manifold. It won't be the end of the world if I have to fabricate an adapter, but simple is always good if you can get away with it.
Pretty sure it will bolt up, I believe the cable and electronic ones are just different lengths. I'd probably stick one of those nice TGV-less new style 2.5i intake manifolds on with a cable throttle body.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure it will bolt up, I believe the cable and electronic ones are just different lengths. I'd probably stick one of those nice TGV-less new style 2.5i intake manifolds on with a cable throttle body.
So I guess the question, from my point of view, is what year and model combinations I should be looking for? I assume that some (or all) of the WRX pieces will fit, but I have no idea when (if ever) they dropped the cable-operated throttle and went to electronic.

The tumble-generator bodies don't really bother me, so unless there's a real need for it, I'd just as soon keep the manifold I've got and just pop a new throttle body onto it. Of course, if my manifold won't accommodate an older-style idle control valve then I'll gladly upgrade, but otherwise I'll just gut the tumblers and leave the housings there.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
You're going to need the manifold off of a cable-throttle car because the DBW manifolds do not have the cable stay mounts. Plus, if you're going to be using a top-mount, the angle of the throttle body will be off when using the DBW manifold.

I installed a JDM 2.0L red intake manifold which is a cable-throttle car. Everything from my 06 XT bolted up except for the TB for the reasons I mentioned above. So at least you know that that particular intake manifold will work. Not sure about the 02-05 WRX.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, Todd. My biggest concerns are that it will bolt up and that any minor passages (such as for bypass air) will match. If it's just a matter of a mounting point for the throttle cable, this is a custom build anyway, and I think we can come up with something to accommodate that.

So, any specific guidance as to "a throttle body from this year and this model will fit your intake manifold"?

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
This is really easy...just get a 02-05 WRX intake manifold; done.

Hell, i'd give you my JDM intake manifold for free (you pay shipping) but when the shop modified it to work with my DBW throttle body, they tapped the manifold to use larger mounting bolts. Still if you want to try it, it's all yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts