Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thank you in advance for your help. I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum. We have a 2004 Forester, which we *love*. We are having our third child in January, and will need to fit three car seats. Has anyone had any luck fitting three seats in their Forester? (I can provide more info on the types of seats we have and plan to use, if that information would help). I do not want to sell my Forester! I love it! But my husband fears we are fighting a losing battle with the laws of physics (in other words, he thinks it just ain't gonna happen). I have checked other car seat sites and forums online and have found some useful info, but nothing specific to a Forester.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
i have done it before... You can hardly buckle the seats in without loosing the skin on your arm.
was it safe? No
was it comfortable for the kids? No
would I recommend doing it for any regular length of time? No
would I do it again? Only from the house to the birthday party. And even then probably no, I would make my oldest ride without the seat.

Sorry to say, but your husband is right.... it sounds like you will need a 3rd row or a much larger backseat. The seats just don't sit properly in position when there are three back there.

***my experience only- maybe there are 3 skinny seats available that would work well but I just don't see having any luck fitting them in the Forester... especially if one will be rear-facing.***

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much for your input. We are going to try it with two Radians (we have a Radian 65 already) and an infant seat and see if it'll work, or with three Radians. If not, well.... I have heard the Outback has a larger backseat, so maybe we'll switch to a different Subaru.

Thanks!!

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I tried 3 car seats in my 05, and wasn't going to happen unless I had slender carseats. My cars seats are built like a 250 lb man, and i would need 120 lb women size seats.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have seen it done on a youtube video. I can't find it at the moment. There was some review about Subaru and what customers would like to see. A woman was complaining because she could barely fit three car seats in the back but the video had a shot of her doing it. If I can find it again I'll attach the link. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I test drove an XT Premium yesterday and fell in love with it, but we're planning on having a 3rd kid sometime in the next few years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you both so much for your input. We are going to try it with two Radians (we have a Radian 65 already) and an infant seat and see if it'll work, or with three Radians. If not, well.... I have heard the Outback has a larger backseat, so maybe we'll switch to a different Subaru.

Thanks!!
Did you succeed in the end?

·
Registered
2006 Forester Auto
34 Posts
ummmm ill bet its not going to work, i can't fit 3 across in my 4runner. Buy a honda pilot, we have twins and a 2 year old and they all fit just fine in the middle row.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts