Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get everything together for my gauge install, but I don't have a sender for the oil temp gauge yet. I know the factory gauge pack comes with a sender that threads into oil pan while acting as drain plug.

I don't have this part and I don't know where I could find one. I'm looking at alternative solutions, but I don't know what thread pitch our oil pans are.

Any help?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

That's what I thought, but the thread I found wasn't overly conclusive.

Any recommendation on an electrical sender for such an application?

·
Administrator
39,840 Posts
When you buy the gauge, you need to buy the specific sender that the gauge is designed to work with. They usually come together. The only real option is the threads on the sending unit, which you select to match what it's going to thread into. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I bought an an OEM gauge pack from a SF from a defunct dealership. The gauges are mint / never-used, but I didn't receive the sender for the Lamco oil temp gauge, which is strange because the box appeared to be unopened. In any event, I have the gauge, but no sender.

I would love to use the OEM designed one - that threads into the oil pan, with the detachable harness, and is coincidentally the one that matches this gauge.

My question is where I would find this sending unit? Surely, Subaru wouldn't sell the sender separately.

·
Administrator
39,840 Posts
I'd suggest checking with Jackie (SubaruPartsGirl), a supporting vendor here on the forum. She's at Annapolis Subaru (866) 509-3019. She might be able to get just the sender for you. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bobby, I called and left her a message. By the way, I really appreciate the help you've been giving me with this issue.

I'd suggest checking with Jackie (SubaruPartsGirl), a supporting vendor here on the forum. She's at Annapolis Subaru (866) 509-3019. She might be able to get just the sender for you. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
39,840 Posts
Glad to be of help! I've learned so much here on the forum, so it's only fair that I give back when I can... almost as much fun as MODding my Forester! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Subaru does sell the sender and the gauge harness separately. Unfortunately, the sender is on sale for $170 and the harness is on sale for $30.

Yep, $200 just to get the crappy OEM oil temp gauge installed. That's just insane.

·
Administrator
39,840 Posts
I was afraid the price would be way out there. :frown: You could go with another gauge, but I believe the gauge set you have is not the standard 52mm, so finding a gauge to fit may be a challenge. I get most of my gauges at egauges.com. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Well, Subaru does sell the sender and the gauge harness separately. Unfortunately, the sender is on sale for $170 and the harness is on sale for $30.

Yep, $200 just to get the crappy OEM oil temp gauge installed. That's just insane.
Get the part numbers and ill help you get in touch with someone who will sell it to you much cheaper.. dealers mark stuff up way too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts