Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98' S, all stock, my budget is around $500-600 for everything. I will do all install. I've got lots of good speaker wire and some decent fuse blocks/cables laying around to (I figure that will save about $25-35).

head unit - unsure, its been a LONG time since I've done a stereo setup.
I was just thinking something in the $150-200 range.

front speakers
Infinity Reference 6030cs 6-1/2" 2-way Reference Series Component Speaker System

rear speakers (I understand this will take a little bit of cutting)
Infinity Reference 5022i 5-1/4" 2- Way Car Audio Speakers

This basically leaves me with about $200 or so to possibly spend on a sub. I am not sure if I want a sub yet as I'm not sure how this will sound. I have a distinct feeling that once I start I will want to try and do a sea-scooby type deal in the back. I haven't seen a kit for the SF, but I can't imagine it would be to terribly difficult to make one anyhow - I've got a large garage full of "stuff" if you know what I mean. This also brings me to the point of dynomat - which I have also never used. I see people now-a-days calling it raamat or something else, I'm not sure what the hot ticket is currently but I think that maybe this would be worthwhile. This is mainly for my wife and I both, roadtrips...etc we both like music.

Is putting in a sub with some of the sound deadening doable for about $200? I was thinking of a cheap 4-channel amp that I can fit under one of the seats. 2 channels for powering the front components and the other 2 channels bridged to power the sub. The rear speakers can be powered by the 15-20watts RMS that modern decks seem to put out; they are mostly just filler anyway.

Am I being realistic here? Can I do all this for $600 or less? I don't mind buying a few used things here or there either, though it does make me a bit nervouse with electronics. All I am looking for is a well rounded, cheap setup that produces clean/tight sound without rattling the nutts out of everything.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
In my opnion, $200 wont do it. If you buy a roll of raamat, some ensolite and some spray adhesive, that is almost $200 right there. You could look around and see if someone is selling some leftover raamat that they didn't use.

As for everything else- if you aren't going to be powering the new rears there really isn't much point in getting them, plus as you mentioned they are mostly for fill anyway. If you dont buy rears you might have enough to get an 8" and a used amp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What you are planning on doing is very similar to my install (hopefully completed on Friday). I have bought (or have) everything for my install except the sub. I have a 2010 Forester X. How much room do you have under your seats?

I would go with a Kenwood KDC-MP638U HU ($130) if you can afford a bit more go with the Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693 ($165). These are both great head units.

I listened and compared the Infinity component speakers (Reference and Kappa) to the Alpine Type S and Type R components and preferred the Alpines. The tweeters on the Infinity set were very harsh to my ears. I suggest that you compare them with your music if you are able to. The Type S components are a bit cheaper than the 6030csd set as well. I really liked the Type R set the best but they are $140. I ended up going with the PPI 356cs set even though I have not listened to them because of all the positive reviews over at the car audio forum. The are rated 60 watts rms but apparently this is way underrated. People are running 150 - 200 rms through them. They are apparently based on the a/d/s 346cs set are are a steal at $140: Precision Power PPI 356CS 6-1/2" Component Systems Car Speakers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

I went with 6022i set for my rear and will be running off my HU. This is really only for rear fill. I could have probably spent less on the rear speakers.

I bought a MB Quart DSC 480 amp and will be powering the front component set with 2 channels and will be bridging the other 2 channels to my sub. I will be buying a Kicker TCVT84 sub/enclosure. This enclosure should fit under my seat (5"D x 16-1/8"W x 9-1/16"H). This sub takes RMS 200 watts.

I will be installing my amp and crossovers in the foam above the spare tire. I'm not sure if you have this option in your 98. You might have to buy smaller amp if going under seat.

Summary:
$165 Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693
$ 85 Alpine SPS-600C (Type S 6 1/2 components)
$ 60 Alpine SPS-500 (Type S 5 1/4 coaxials)
$140 MB Quart DSC 480 amp
$135 Kicker TCVT84 sub/enclosure
$585 total

Good luck!

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My man! That is some great food for thought there, that is definitely the sort of setup I had in mind.

In all honesty I have never really heard Alpine speakers. I have always heard good things but I have experience with Reference and Kappa and always loved them when there was a sub present to pickup where they leave off. I would definitely consider some Alpine speakers though.

I would like to install the amp under my seat and install the sub under the passenger seat. I think there should be enough room under there considering the factory sub can fit. This will eliminate a lot of extra cost/noise with wiring to/from the amp/speakers.
Have you personally heard the Kicker sub? I can't find much of any info or reviews on it. I would do an 8" if it had good enough review(s) and what not. I was planning a 10" but that may be a stretch for under the seat.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,435 Posts
If/when the installs are done.... could both of you post pictures? I am always curious to see what the wiring and set up looks like.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
noahrexion, You should really compare the Alpine Type S and R to the Infinity yourself to make a decision. These are fairly common speakers at car audio shops. I believe you could compare them even at Best Buy. I liked the Type R better than the Type S but liked them both better than Reference and Kappa sets. To me the Alpines sounded more natural while the Infinity sets sounded harsh at high end (tweeter). You really should listen to make a decision, it is a personal choice.

The factory sub is a lot smaller than the Kicker sub I mentioned or other 8" enclosures I have seen. You really need to measure how much room you have under your seat. That Kicker one will nearly fit under my passenger seat (and will block the under seat heat vents). I have not seen many reviews on that sub/enclosure but I have read great reviews on the 8" CompVT subwoofer that is used in that enclosure. I really have no choice anyway, I have to have sub under seat. It is going to sound better at 200 watts RMS than any of those underpowered powered subs out there. Realize that this is only a 8" sub so it is not going to rattle windows.

If you are doing your amp under your seat you really want to measure as well. If you want adjustment side of amp facing front or back I imagine it can only be around 12" long. The MB Quart DSC 480 amp I got is 14" long. The 50x4 version called MB Quart DSC 450 in 11" long. Amps that do 80 - 100 RMS are hard to come by at less than 12".

Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
noahrexion, another sub and enclosure I'm considering is the 8" Pioneer TS-SW841D and the UD-SW8U enclosure. The enclosure is 12-1/16"W x 9-7/16"H x 4-3/4"D. Here is info on sub:
Pioneer USA - Shallow Mount

You can pick up subwoofer and enclosure for around $200. It is only rated 120 watts RMS but I suspect it will take a lot more. Smaller enclosure than the Kicker but more money...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts